Adult dubias Heeelllpppp

I feel ya! Felt the same when I first got my discoids. If one of them ever touches my bare skin, I’ll probably have a massive coronary and die, but I have grown to respect and maybe even kinda have odd feelings and compassion for them. Try to give them good yummies like fresh mango, apple, squash along with bug burger.

Dubias don’t fly...indeed they barely flutter if you throw them. I get the creep factor, but it takes all of 2 seconds to get over it with the following two steps:

1) open your cricket bin and have a good deep smell; then open your dubia bin and do the same.
2) grab a super worm by the tail and pinch, then grab a dubia and do the same
Step 1 involves gaging, and step 2 involves getting bitten—neither a result of the roaches.

Dubias don’t fly...indeed they barely flutter if you throw them. I get the creep factor, but it takes all of 2 seconds to get over it with the following two steps:

1) open your cricket bin and have a good deep smell; then open your dubia bin and do the same.
2) grab a super worm by the tail and pinch, then grab a dubia and do the same
Step 1 involves gaging, and step 2 involves getting bitten—neither a result of the roaches.
Alright then... as long as they don’t fly... this will work. I now can open their new home without freaking out. Still... omg... gigantic winged monsters.

Do you keep all of them in just one bin?
The more in one bin, the better the reproduction ; )

I have a colony of about 600 discoids. Most of them are smaller though, only about 80 adults. The more adults, the more space. You can also use the bigger size bins - the giant ones that can fit one of those fake Christmas trees.

I personally keep a thin layer of top soil, sycamore leaves for litter, and a few cork bark flats. They usually gather under the cork bark to make and lay eggs. The leaf litter allows the to gather food while staying hidden. They burrow in the dirt during the day to hide/sleep. When I need roaches I just flip the cork bark and take my pick... the large adults tend to stay down in the soil during the day. It's a good way to not have to see them. That being said... it looks like a sand worm is living in your bin when they start to move, hehe.

Not to be rude, but some of these questions people ask could be answered within like a 5 second google search. No big deal to answer questions, but c'mon guys :rolleyes: it's not that difficult.

One of my favorite past times is pop lizard in middle of the room, and sit on bed with dubia and throw them around said lizard. Males with wings are pretty good at steering.
Sounds like a new national sporting completion in the making, if your not running with that idea, I am!

Yes I did miss my naptime. And I'm still right :)

On more than one occasion in the last 7 years i had to say "dubia spit is ok for the cham to eat". It seems some new folk think that dubia can produce magic spit that is fine to eat if its internal, but once they spit it out its a toxic deterrent....

Back
Top Bottom