Adult and Neonate Pygmy vivs (Description)&(Pics)

Where do you guys get your pygmies from? I can't find them from any reliable retailer/breeder online that sells them.

Most people try to find WC ones to breed as the cb market for them is very small. I was luck enough to find a breeder on here after a whole year of searching but yeah it's difficult to find captive bred.

Where do you guys get your pygmies from? I can't find them from any reliable retailer/breeder online that sells them.

It's all who you know. They are not a "big seller/profit maker" so alot of retailers/breeders dont waste their time on them. Besides a few select people and your occasional hobbist not many people take the time necessary to properly care and breed these little guys. It takes a LONG time to get a breeding colony of these guys going to insure no inbreeding happens. Whenever clutches are typically 4 eggs or even less, its hard, unless you have ALOT of them to breed.

That is why typically you see field collected and WC and not many CB pygmies. With a lifespan of a female being 3 years or less (typically), WC you never know what your going to get, alot of people have bad experiences because age cannot be determined, as they are sexually mature within 2-3 of birth. Obviously egg laying is very stressful especially for such a small species. The other issue with WC are parasites, they are so small, that giving proper dosage for medications is very very hard to do. Not to say that it cant be done, but not many vets have the experience to do so.

So my advice to you is be patient. This is not a race to get pygs, they pop up from time to time from site sponsors and on the classifieds, so keep and eye out and make sure to read proper care instructions for these guys as they are totally different most other species.

Perfect! I was thinking LED would work out well. I saw the matching exo terra hood, but didn't like how it covers the entire top. Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom