Adult amounts

blackbetty

I tried to search but couldnt find anything although Im quite sure there is something on here somewhere.

What are the feeding breakdowns per age range? Like, babies SHOULD be eating between x amount and x amount.
Juvis, and then adults. Leo doesnt eat as much as I assumed he would. I see people saying theirs eats 12 of this and 8 of that.. I cup feed and I know he eats when he wants. He no longer will eat in front of me though so I cant be sure on exact number in case some happen to escape or he spits them out. He is 1 and half years old.

Then on the opposite end, we are getting a baby jacksons from Titan next month and I want to be sure that he gets what he needs too and I know babies eat more so just trying to get a general consensus on where each SHOULD be.

Shucks, I didnt meant o make the topic JUST adults.. Silly me.

OK i have a male veiled who eats sparingly. I offer food everyother day, i offer about 12 crix and a few supers. He always eats the supers. Sometimes he eats a cricket sometimes not.

I also have a female veiled that i have had for a month now, i got her when she was 4 months old and she eats like 12-20 a day!!! Im going to be backing off shortly to prevent egg production tho.

My adults i feed 8 crickets or equivalent weight of various worms (when i have them around) or roaches every other day, sometimes every 3 days. Your male should probably be fed every other or every 3 days. This sounds kinda intense, but its really all they need and most times than not it'll ensure that every meal theyre eating everything completely and not just eating 3 or 4 of the 12 or so crickets you might offer him. This is what works for me, and my animals are very healthy and robust. From photos Ive seen of your guy, he has slight edema, which I remember chris mentioning about him that he gets it easily and he communicated that with you. Cut back on the feeding and supplementation for this guy and let your gutloading provide the nutrition. He is a large male, so if he were mine, id offer 10 or so crickets every other day and see how that works for him. As for reccomendation for baby jacksons feeding, i couldnt provide info on that being I have 0% experience with any montane species.

Nico, thank you. I do feed every other day. I throw in about 10 crickets and few supers and 1-2 large roaches. Just wanted to be sure he was on track and that I wasnt UNDERfeeding him or htat it didnt hurt if he chose to eat less for 3 days or more for 2. Whew!

Ill see if Titan will chime in on the jacksons. I know he will tell me what to do for the baby, but I just wanna keep track to make sure its prgressing right and to keep him informed.:)

I feed babies essentially as much as they want or will eat within about five or ten minutes, and I feed them several times a day.

I feed my adults almost every day, but I give them only a few insects (sometimes just one) each day. Many people choose to feed every other day but in bigger quantities at once.

I keep a running diary of what I feed mine in my blog.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/food-feeders-feeding-supplements/

I think you are feeding your chameleon too much.
My adult male veiled eats 3 or 4 superworms every 2 to 3 days.
My females eat 8 adult crickets or a fully developed male dubia or 4 crickets and a superworm ... etc. every other day.
As long as the insects are loaded with nutritious food, this is plenty for adult veileds or panthers.
The temptation to overfeed is great but getting so much food so easily is not a very natural situation for them.
They can become overweight.

-Brad

Brad, I appreciate it. He doesnt eat it all. That is just what I offer him incase he feels more like crickets (and these are medium as large are harder to find lately). And the roaches are free roam so he eats them as he pleases. Ill start keeping track of exactly what is offered, how much, and what he partakes in. Thanks.:)

My adults i feed 8 crickets or equivalent weight of various worms (when i have them around) or roaches every other day, sometimes every 3 days. Your male should probably be fed every other or every 3 days. This sounds kinda intense, but its really all they need and most times than not it'll ensure that every meal theyre eating everything completely and not just eating 3 or 4 of the 12 or so crickets you might offer him. This is what works for me, and my animals are very healthy and robust. From photos Ive seen of your guy, he has slight edema, which I remember chris mentioning about him that he gets it easily and he communicated that with you. Cut back on the feeding and supplementation for this guy and let your gutloading provide the nutrition. He is a large male, so if he were mine, id offer 10 or so crickets every other day and see how that works for him.

Sorry to be so redundant with my post ... Nico has mapped it out quite well here;)

-Brad

When?

I'm glad this was posted... I was just wondering about this the other day.

When should I expect my veiled's metabolism to slow down? He's about 6 months and still eats a lot. (about 10-15 crickets a day)

I also want to clarify that this is just recent. When I moved Leo into the sunroom, he quit eating and went without for almost 2 weeks. People were commenting that his fat pads were thin, so I was just over compensating I guess.:)Prior, he would get about 5-7 LARGE crickets, 1 male Dubia, and 1-2 supers..Sometimes he would eat all, some times he would eat majority.. Is that still too much?

Back
Top Bottom