Adopting a new female veiled...

Txherp

I will be adopting a female veiled chameleon from petsmart in the next few days. The reason she is up for adoption is that she is too big, might be gravid, and possibly has the beginning of mbd. This is what she is living in now.
She is currently living in a 10 gallon tank. I will be keeping her in anew 18 x 18 x 36 screen enclosure.
I am having trouble fitting a nest box in the cage. I was able to fit a 2 gallon bucket in there. Will that be large enough? My friend has a female veiled that lays her eggs in a large critter keeper.
I'll post some pics in a bit.

I think it's recommended to put at least a 5 gallon bucket in there... I usually go for slightly larger than a 12"x12"x8" in case you have a big girl or a really enthusiastic digger

Here is her cage at Petsmart.

Here is her new cage, I'm still not done setting it up. I need to add more branches and get a new UVB bulb. I might have to take the big plant out so I can fit a bigger laying bin in there...

The new cage looks good. Do you have any clearer pictures of her? I don't see the MBD. What kind of UVB bulb are you using?

If it comes time for her to lay eggs and she will not use the bucket, you can fill a garbage can with moist playsand/soil and leave her in it to see if she will dig that way.

This thread has more info on laying bins:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/

Once I pick her up I'll get some better pics of her. I plan on getting a zoo med reptisun 5.0 unless you can recommend something else.

The garbage can is a great idea, I forgot I could do that. Thanks

She doesn't look like she has MBD to me ... but I am not a vet. Otherwise she looks great ^^ I hope for a long happy relationship between you two!

Back
Top Bottom