About to Order - Final Setup Questions

AZJ0SH

I have been preparing my enclosure over the last week to get it ready for my chameleon I am about to order. I am running into a few small problems, so I was hoping you guys could provide some final advice.

I am ordering a veiled cham from flchams this week, once everything is perfect.

1. Basking - I am only getting about 90 degrees from my 75w bulb, would a 100w provide more heat, or should I look into a halogen setup?

2. Reptisun Distance - How far does the light extend? I have a 24" diagonal across the top. The basking spot is about 8" from the top of the enclosure, so I am not sure if that's close enough or if I should mount the light inside the enclosure instead?

3. After Arrival - Should I feed him the day he arrives, or will he be too stressed to eat from the trip from Florida? Do I need to do anything special the day he arrives?

That's it for now, if I remember anything else I will add it on. I appreciate any replies, thank you guys.

congrats

well 90 degrees is enough :p dont worry make sure its at a corner area of the cage

and lay the uvb linear tube reptisun on the cage across ontop liek y0ou have it (maybe post pic of your setup now and get suggestions?)

you dont have to feed him immedieately , but try a lil bit of food to see if he responds of he doest then take away the food and let him 'settle in a couple days'

nothing special but i recommend not to hold him at the beginning, let him venture in his enclosure and be comfty in his new home:)

goodluck and plz post pics:D

From what I've read, 90 degrees is fine for an adult. It's high for a baby.

I would recommend against putting the light inside the enclosure, it's just safer to keep it outside. As long as the temps at the basking point are good, it doesn't matter how much it cools down lower in the cage. Indeed, there should be a substantial difference between the basking spot and the bottom of the cage (like 15 degrees).

congrats

well 90 degrees is enough :p dont worry make sure its at a corner area of the cage

and lay the uvb linear tube reptisun on the cage across ontop liek y0ou have it (maybe post pic of your setup now and get suggestions?)

you dont have to feed him immedieately , but try a lil bit of food to see if he responds of he doest then take away the food and let him 'settle in a couple days'

nothing special but i recommend not to hold him at the beginning, let him venture in his enclosure and be comfty in his new home:)

goodluck and plz post pics:D

Good to know, it's sitting between 88-90, never gone above 90 yet and I had it on for 8 hours today.

I don't have any pics yet, but I will soon!

From what I've read, 90 degrees is fine for an adult. It's high for a baby.

I would recommend against putting the light inside the enclosure, it's just safer to keep it outside. As long as the temps at the basking point are good, it doesn't matter how much it cools down lower in the cage. Indeed, there should be a substantial difference between the basking spot and the bottom of the cage (like 15 degrees).

The bottom is about 75 degrees, room temp. The basking is 90 so I think I am all set then, I will just keep using my 75w bulb.

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I keep veileds and have a little veiled family: Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. They are such a pleasure to care for. If you are getting your veiled from FL Chams it's probably going to be a young one and 90 would be too hot for the basking spot. I only bask my adult veiled at 89. A baby should only bask at 80 or 81. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below to help you keep your new cham healthy and happy.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

So I just saw the reply about 90 being too high for young chameleons? I am ordering a 3 month old, what should I have the temp at?

My 60w was giving about 85 degrees, compared to the 88-90 at 75w.

I would bask a 3 month old male at 82 or 83. You can increase you temps a degree each month until you reach 89. Try a 40 watt.

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I keep veileds and have a little veiled family: Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. They are such a pleasure to care for. If you are getting your veiled from FL Chams it's probably going to be a young one and 90 would be too hot for the basking spot. I only bask my adult veiled at 89. A baby should only bask at 80 or 81. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below to help you keep your new cham healthy and happy.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Good to know, I might need to downgrade my bulb even further then to a 40w. I didnt see your post before I replied last time, I think we posted at the time time.

Back
Top Bottom