? About keeping my plants alive!!

Kansascity

Ok so the Gardenia had to go all that was really left to it were branches and fried leaves ! Should and what type of plant light should I get? My ficus plants are starting to p me off as well! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA. :)

I have found that scheffleras do very well. I have one in every one of my cham's cages. They can stand dry soil for a while, but as long as you soak it once a week, it will be great.

Basically, just take the plant out of the cage, and water it for a good 5-7 minutes, usually I put the hose on the soil, but only turn the nozzle to turn the water on only slightly so it is slowly coming out. I also do it in a sunny place so it gets more UV.

There are two types that you may find. Make sure you get the Schefflera arboricola. The Schefflera actinophylla is toxic if eaten, so don't get it. The arboricola is easy to determine from the actinophylla because it has shorter leaves.

LPR08

ferns are awesome too! my cham loves to munch on the leaves,the plant loves the water from reg mistings by my hand sprayer and also gets soaked from my monsoon,it seems hardy and is doing well with the heat where it is located,the leaves are so soft and frilly and it really holds the moisture and helps imensely with the overall humidity levels..my ferns are "boston ferns":) i just have a reg household bulb for basking and then also the uvb/uva lights,and it seems to be enough light to grow all my plants..i leave my plants in the cham enclosure and water them once a week ,but i do have an awesome drainage system that allows me to do this..pothos plants are very hardy too and sturdy enough to handle a chams weight,mine loves his pothos and will cling to two of the same vines every night to sleep..

I will be going out to the nursery today and will look for the Arboricola, hopefully they will have it. Thank you.

If you are having light problems as well, I recommend a 5000k fluorescent bulb. People will recommend the 6500k as well because they're even stronger, but they put out an almost blue light and I've heard from a reptile lighting company that they believe this spectrum of color is a little harsh for chameleons, turning everything sort of gray in their eyes. A 5000k produces more natural light, for both us and them, and my plants were doing pretty well when I had them.

I've had success with ficus, scheflera, and pothos. I've tried gardenia, hibiscus, bougainvillea, and a couple others and they just don't do well. Not everything can be an indoor plant, unfortunately!

If you are having light problems as well, I recommend a 5000k fluorescent bulb. People will recommend the 6500k as well because they're even stronger, but they put out an almost blue light and I've heard from a reptile lighting company that they believe this spectrum of color is a little harsh for chameleons, turning everything sort of gray in their eyes. A 5000k produces more natural light, for both us and them, and my plants were doing pretty well when I had them.

I've had success with ficus, scheflera, and pothos. I've tried gardenia, hibiscus, bougainvillea, and a couple others and they just don't do well. Not everything can be an indoor plant, unfortunately!

I bought more pothos today, (not like I should have they are all over the house , but did!) and a few other’s, Dh is building a new XX large enclosure for my Rango before he leaves again and it is huge. My 7 year old can sit and stand comfortably in it! The drainage system he did for Rango is working great! (Pardon me please a little to much wine tonight our 5 year old will be 6 in a few hours):D working on baby #4. Anyhow I have been loving my Chams and as well as them adjusting to me, I adjusting to them. I really appreciate this new loved hobby. I will be ordering my mistking systems this next week (Marty watch out, here I come lol, I am going to try and get my handy man to rig them up) and the plant lights I will have to order, not a problem though. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom