About gutloading

Joann

I wonder if sprouted seeds like wheat and buckwheat and such would be a good gutload for crickets along with veggies and greens? I feed sprouts to my conure because its supposed to be super nutritious.

Also how do you make your gutload? do you chop this stuff up daily or make a weeks worth and how much do you feed around 1000 small crickets on average?

I knew this part would be hardest on me.Ive never been good with insects.

I have tupperware that I got from the dollar store, I buy a few things each week that I want to gut-load with, and pretty much make a fruit/veggie salad in one of the containers. I grate my carrots, and anything else I think may need grated. Whats left goes into the other containers separately. When I run out of an item, I will use something else similar to it (was honeydew, now cantaloupe for instance) and will just cycle through items each week so it gets changed up and my chams don't get bored. Some things stay the same though, like carrots.

Also, I order bulk crix as well, and I feed them a small dish of this salad around 5 hours before I feed my chams. This way I know they haven't excreted the nutrients. You only need to feed what they can eat in 1 day, so it will take some trial and error. You don't want there to be food still in the dish the next day. Also make sure they have a source of water. Oranges work well, or a dish with a damp paper towel.

I also put my homemade gutload in a container to be stored in the refrigerator.

My gutload consists of carrots, apple, salad, kale, strawberries, berries, and plenty of other greens. I OF COURSE cut the pieces VERY VERY VERY tiny so the crickets can eat them and not just nibble and leave most of their food to spoil.

Always put fresh gutload in with your crickets the night before feeding time for the chameleons :)

I decided to just order 500 crickets instead of a thousand.I got quarter inch, I hope those wont be too big.I get the cham baby on Thursday.
The bigger crickets can be fed off to the beardie and leo my son has so I will scrounge out the smallest ones.I also ordered mini mealies.

Back
Top Bottom