About egg! Help!!!!! Chinese gilr~

girls

I'm from China .So my english is poor.I hope you can understand me .Thank you very much.
I put the Chameleon egg and the panther egg in a same incubator.
A few days later i found the C egg get soft and the P egg was mildew.
1.Why get soft ?Dose the C egg need higher humidity?
2.Why get mildew?Dose the P egg need lower humidity ?What is the hatch temperture?
3.How long i can see whether fertilization?
P.S: the C egg had hatch 2 month.the P egg had hatch 1 month.
Thank you very much again!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

You said..."I put the Chameleon egg and the panther egg in a same incubator"...do you mean that you put the eggs from two different species of chameleon in the same container?

You said..."A few days later i found the C egg get soft and the P egg was mildew"...this could happen if the eggs were infertile. I don't know if it would happen because you put two different kinds of eggs together.

You said..."Dose the C egg need higher humidity?"..I don't know what you mean...what is the C. egg from? A veiled chameleon?

The humidity for veiled and panther eggs should be the same. The substrate should be barely moist. What are you using to incubate them on?

For both veiled and panthers the temperatures need to be below 74F.

With experience you should be able to tell when the eggs are laid if they are fertile or not. Fertile eggs are usually more opaque looking and whiter than infertile ones....and slightly larger.

Can you post a picture of the eggs please?
What are you incubating them in?
P.S: the C egg had hatch 2 month.the P egg had hatch 1 month.

Thanks! yes ,they are in the same chanmeleon.
C.egg means Chameleon egg .- -

You mean the temperatures need to be below 74F.The 74F=23Celsius.But in China our hatch temperture is 28Celsius.That means 84F.
i will post a picture of the eggs later.
thanks again

i am giving my eggs a 2 month gestation period at 72f. After this point i will raise the temp to about 75f. As for moisture, Im using 50g of vemeculite to 40g of water. Once I get the hatching media in the container with the eggs, I weigh the whole thing. Every 2 weeks I will check the weight. If the weight is less, I will add water until the container reaches the same weight...

you said your hatch temp is about 84f? How long are you expecting incubation time to take? I know that if you raise your temps, the eggs will hatch quicker but they will be smaller & weaker animals.

But in china our hatch temperture is always 79f~84f.(79f~84f=26C~28C)
about 8 months they will be come out.
how long will you hatch ? one year?

no, about 8 months too. hmm thats strange. if its around 8 months that you expect, i guess that is the right temp for you.

I dont know. Possibly infertile? I just told you what im doing so you can compare but you do it very different. I understand how you feel.

Any temp from low 70s to low 80s and any variation in that range will work fine for successful hatching. I used to incubate panthers @82-83 then found room temp worked just as well (maybe better- variable temps might make stronger babies). Think incubation time is about the same as in the 70s.

I'm wondering how you have the eggs set up? I use tupperware sandwich type boxes- the plastic boxes for food storage with lids that seal airtight. Do you have lids on your containers or are your eggs set up directly in the incubator without lids?

For substrate, I take vermiculite, fill a small bucket mostly with vermiculite, then fill that bucket of vermiculite mostly with water, then grab a handful of vermiculite and squeeze as much water out of it as I reasonably can (make it stop dripping water, but I'm not extreme about it- a good hard squeeze for a few seconds is all it takes to get it in proper moisture range for me). I place the then squeezed vermiculite in my food storage container to set the eggs on. I fluff the vermiculite up a little with my fingers so it is loose, and then press my eggs 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the vermiculite. I then seal the lid onto the container. This vermiculite and sealed container and moisture is true for all chameleons I have bred, including panthers and veileds (true for nearly all the other lizards I have bred too (dozens of species)).

Long ago I used to poke holes in containers for air circulation and weigh the containers every couple of weeks and replace evaporated water. I haven't done that in years. An expert studying lizard egg incubation in a laboratory setting thought I was funny for doing so and asked me how much air exchange I thought eggs get underground. Since then, for many years now I leave them sealed and open every few weeks to check eggs and throw out any bad ones. If it is obvious there aren't any, I leave the containers sealed and do not open. If I am unsure I open and check. This prevents evaporative loss and I never have to worry about humidity.

I just put the whole container in a cupboard under the sink in the bathroom where it is dark and temps stays above 70 year round...

Kind of cool we are seeing more and more Chinese citizens here on the forums.

Welcome!

mildew or mold- probably bad eggs or possibly bad nesting substrate (dirty dirt)...

Last edited:
incubator
c78aca8696.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom