A very sad day-breeding mishap?

I am so sorry to hear this... How old was she??? Is it possible that it was just her time and that it was a natural death maybe triggered by the stress from mating? Like a Cham heart attack?

I am so sorry to hear this... How old was she??? Is it possible that it was just her time and that it was a natural death maybe triggered by the stress from mating? Like a Cham heart attack?

She would have been a year old in June.

It is funny that having never owned another Panther female I always thought she was small, but in fact she was a very big girl.

I really think it was an accident. I am very sorry it happened and feel saddened by it. They were very affectionate to each other. Nippy was nuzzling her head under his chin and he would nuzzle her back.

The first time they mated he wasnt aggressive to her, didnt bite her. He did have a tight grip on her the first time.

I think he accidentally suffocated and strangled her. Her body had no bite marks,her tongue was out and her eyes were extremely bulged, it looked unnatural.

Im truly sorry this happened.

Unfortunately this is one of those things that can happen. We may find out why or we may never find out why. It could have happened even if someone was standing right there. Some things are out of our control.

I really think it was an accident. I am very sorry it happened and feel saddened by it. They were very affectionate to each other. Nippy was nuzzling her head under his chin and he would nuzzle her back.

The first time they mated he wasnt aggressive to her, didnt bite her. He did have a tight grip on her the first time.

I think he accidentally suffocated and strangled her. Her body had no bite marks,her tongue was out and her eyes were extremely bulged, it looked unnatural.

Im truly sorry this happened.

Yes, I would guess accidental suffocation due to compression. The male was probably as surprised as anyone. What could anyone have done?
We have 1 female who seems to insist on getting off the vines and hanging vertically from branches when she's with a male. At first I thought she was nuts because it looked so uncomfortable, with the male hanging from her and pulling her skin. But maybe there was method to her madness?

Last edited:
Its ok Gesang :) It was important for you to mention things that could have happened, that is the reason for the thread.

I just got off the phone with my Vet and she is going to do the Necropsy on Nippy next Thursday. She mentioned that it might have been a crushing injury to her trachea, but we wont know until the porcedure is done.

She said without seeing her, she didnt know for sure. There also may have been underlying issues that we didnt know about. Either way its a sad situation.

I also am sorry to hear of this.

I hope you have many pictures of her. She did look fantastic in that last one on this thread.

I never knew this could happen but then I am new to this type of reptile. I have only had my male Panther a couple of weeks or so and felt I wanted to mate him in the future but this will make me think seriously before I do.

I am sooo sorry Julirs!! Seeing her pics brought tears to my eyes as well. I know how it feels. I hope you can find out what happened, not that it will make it any better, but sometimes knowing can help prevent it from happening again. I have noticed a couple of my females also tilt to the side almost like they are going to fall, maybe that what some of them have to do when the males get a little giddy... I have also started staying in the room while they mate. You just never know with these guys.

Debby

Wow, That just not fair. :(

sorry to hear about your cham. thanks for posting and sharing so others can be aware, sounds like you could not have helped it anyway.

IMHO it is important to realize (although difficult) some things are out of our control

Sean

Tragic news but well done for sharing this as I'm sure this story will save another life one day, (just by making people more aware of the dangers).
I agree she looked the sweetest chameleon and I am sorry for your loss:(

I've heard of such things .. I have never witnessed it myself, but the very nature of mating with these chameleons is , at times aggressive. If watching over them was an option , I'm sure that would have been done, but an audience can deter the male from mating and any startling movement can actually cause the male to tear his hemipenes. That is something that did happen to my male Fischer , when my dog entered the reptile room and , I assume , startled the pair in mid stride. The male bled horrifically but did survive.

I know that Noelle was dilegent in the care of the mating pair. She cares more for these gentle reptiles than just about anyone I know.

Julirs , this is a tragic loss. Noelle, I can't imagine how terrible you must feel right now.

No one can turn back the hands of time and prevent this tragedy, or else we all would . So sad... so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom