A tribute to Oscar

So sorry to read this Dayna. What a legacy he leaves in the passion he sparked in you, and all the good that has come out of it through the good you do for chameleons and their owners.

So I got the lab results back from my Oscar's necropsy. While his kidneys looked enlarged and abnormally colored there was actually little evidence of disease and no evidence of gout, which I found surprising. That was my biggest suspicion for his decline in health. The pathologist commented that significant sexual activity can cause an abnormal appearance to the kidneys since part of the reptilian reproductive tract involves the cranial pole of the kidney is some species. Oscar hadn't been bred in over a year but he was still producing large amounts of sperm apparently.

However his liver also appeared abnormal and there was a large mass in the middle of it. And it turns out it was hepatic cholangiocarcinoma, which is a type of cancer that has been described in several species of reptiles. It typically does not metastasis to other organs but does cause significant disease in the liver itself. This was in the pathologist's opinion the cause of his problems that ultimately led to his death. There was really nothing I could have done to remove it as it was in the region of all the major vessels in the center of the liver or even really detect it. There is some peace in knowing that.

I learned so much from Oscar from the start of my chameleon fascination even to after his death. So grateful for all that he taught me and how great he was. Rest in peace Oscar man.

Last edited:
I'm truly sorry to hear about Oscar. Thank you for sharing him with us throughout the years.

So I got the lab results back from my Oscar's necropsy. While his kidneys looked enlarged and abnormally colored there was actually little evidence of disease and no evidence of gout, which I found surprising. That was my biggest suspicion for his decline in health. The pathologist commented that significant sexual activity can cause an abnormal appearance to the kidneys since part of the reptilian reproductive tract involves the cranial pole of the kidney is some species. Oscar hadn't been bred in over a year but he was still producing large amounts of sperm apparently.

However his liver also appeared abnormal and there was a large mass in the middle of it. And it turns out it was hepatic cholangiocarcinoma, which is a type of cancer that has been described in several species of reptiles. It typically does not metastasis to other organs but does cause significant disease in the liver itself. This was in the pathologist's opinion the cause of his problems that ultimately led to his death. There was really nothing I could have done to remove it as it was in the region of all the major vessels in the center of the liver or even really detect it. There is some peace in knowing that.

I learned so much from Oscar from the start of my chameleon fascination even to after his death. So grateful for all that he taught me and how great he was. Rest in peace Oscar man.

I'm certain he had a great long life with you Dayna but can see how much you would miss him. Thank you also for following up to find out the probable cause of death (instead of assuming it was just "old age"). We all learn so much from you and your chams, and have loved hearing about his life on the forum. We'll miss him too!

So sorry for your loss :(. You really are a fantastic owner. His paw prints and his little urn, really a very nice way to remember your little buddy. RIP Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom