A report about husbandry and wanted to sort this out for my beautiful girl.

mickeyy

IMG_20201001_181728.jpg
IMG_20201001_181728.jpg IMG_20201001_181728.jpg IMG_20201001_181728.jpg IMG_20201001_181728.jpg

Welcome to the addiction!!

Prepare for the onslaught of information. I am going to call on @Beman @kinyonga @jannb and @MissSkittles
It looks like there are a lot of changes needed for the good of your girl. I will let them expound, but first fill out this form as completely as possible, so we can best help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the addiction!!

Prepare for the onslaught of information. I am going to call on @Beman @kinyonga @jannb and @MissSkittles
It looks like there are a lot of changes needed for the good of your girl. I will let them expound, but first fill out this form as completely as possible, so we can best help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
:cautious:?? But I already did a fish tank thread this week. ?

LOL I believe @PabloTheCham was going to help them with their form once it was posted. This stemmed from another thread.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled About 4 months old and I have had her for about 1 month now
  • Handling - I try to take her out on my screened-in porch to get her natural light and she crawls around my arms and explores
  • Feeding - I feed her store-bought crickets and I catch grasshoppers for her. she eats about 10-12 of those and I put some live kale in there for her to munch on.
  • Supplements - I use Reptivite Calcium and D3. Her soil has Calcium in it and I dust the food every time unless I catch it outside that already has the vitamins in them.
  • Watering - I mist her 4-6 times a day but recently (thanks to my many people here) will start to mist 2-3 times as I have been over misting. She opens her mouth when I mist and assume she drinks it.
  • Fecal Description -She hasn't been tested as I got her a month ago and she poops once a day. they are brown and solid with a white part inside.
  • History - Rescued from Pet Store

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - There are a glass Screen combo and 24" x 12" x 24"
  • Lighting - I have UVB lighting 12 hours on and off and a heat lamp that stays on 24/7
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer and the temp ranges from 70-80 and usually sticks around 70. At night she is usually around 70 aswell.
  • Humidity -My humidity level stay around 50-80%
  • Plants- I have cloth leaves and a climbing stick I throw in some Kale and put them on the stick and she munches on them.
  • Placement - She is located by a window where we live in the woods, she loves to look outside and there is an air vent but i got a blocker. I turn the room fan on at night to drop the temp a bit.
  • Location - I live in Chapel Hill, NC and in the woods.

Current Problem - Bad husbandry?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. Photos are above

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled About 4 months old and I have had her for about 1 month now She is younger, more like 2-3 months
  • Handling - I try to take her out on my screened-in porch to get her natural light and she crawls around my arms and explores Perfect, maybe put her on a plant while she explores to reduce stress.
  • Feeding - I feed her store-bought crickets and I catch grasshoppers for her. she eats about 10-12 of those and I put some live kale in there for her to munch on. Ditch the kale. You need to gutload the crickets with a variety of fruits and vegetables, I will add a picture thing to help you :) Are there any pesticides used anywhere near your property? If so you cannot feed the grasshoppers you find outside.
  • Supplements - I use Reptivite Calcium and D3. Her soil has Calcium in it and I dust the food every time unless I catch it outside that already has the vitamins in them. I'm gonna let @Beman explain the supplement schedule since I'm not in the mood to word it in 5 sentences when she can word it in 2 :)
  • Watering - I mist her 4-6 times a day but recently (thanks to my many people here) will start to mist 2-3 times as I have been over misting. She opens her mouth when I mist and assume she drinks it. Your humidity is wayyy too high because of this over misting. Needs to be 40-50% during the day, no higher.
  • Fecal Description -She hasn't been tested as I got her a month ago and she poops once a day. they are brown and solid with a white part inside. Test her when you can, especially when feeding WC insects it is important.
  • History - Rescued from Pet Store ?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - There are a glass Screen combo and 24" x 12" x 24" Too small.
  • Lighting - I have UVB lighting 12 hours on and off and a heat lamp that stays on 24/7 I don't understand... you say at the bottom "i turn the room fan on at night to drop the temp a bit" but you have a basking light on 24/7?? Basking light should be on while the uvb is on, no more. There should be a temp drop at night.
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer and the temp ranges from 70-80 and usually sticks around 70. At night she is usually around 70 aswell. What basking temp?? The purpose of a basking light is to have a thermal gradient which is hard to achieve in a glorified fish tank, since the basking light raises ambient temp in the tank.
  • Humidity -My humidity level stay around 50-80% Low humidity during day, very high humidity at night. 30-40% humidity during the day and 80-100 at night. This high humidity, along with this substrate that needs to go, and poor airflow is cause for respiratory infections.
  • Plants- I have cloth leaves and a climbing stick I throw in some Kale and put them on the stick and she munches on them. Ditch the fake plants... or we may have to summon he-who-shall-not-be-named. ? (ignore that last part OP)
  • Placement - She is located by a window where we live in the woods, she loves to look outside and there is an air vent but i got a blocker. I turn the room fan on at night to drop the temp a bit. ?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled About 4 months old and I have had her for about 1 month now She is younger, more like 2-3 months
  • Handling - I try to take her out on my screened-in porch to get her natural light and she crawls around my arms and explores Perfect, maybe put her on a plant while she explores to reduce stress.
  • Feeding - I feed her store-bought crickets and I catch grasshoppers for her. she eats about 10-12 of those and I put some live kale in there for her to munch on. Ditch the kale. You need to gutload the crickets with a variety of fruits and vegetables, I will add a picture thing to help you :) Are there any pesticides used anywhere near your property? If so you cannot feed the grasshoppers you find outside.
  • Supplements - I use Reptivite Calcium and D3. Her soil has Calcium in it and I dust the food every time unless I catch it outside that already has the vitamins in them. I'm gonna let @Beman explain the supplement schedule since I'm not in the mood to word it in 5 sentences when she can word it in 2 :)
  • Watering - I mist her 4-6 times a day but recently (thanks to my many people here) will start to mist 2-3 times as I have been over misting. She opens her mouth when I mist and assume she drinks it. Your humidity is wayyy too high because of this over misting. Needs to be 40-50% during the day, no higher.
  • Fecal Description -She hasn't been tested as I got her a month ago and she poops once a day. they are brown and solid with a white part inside. Test her when you can, especially when feeding WC insects it is important.
  • History - Rescued from Pet Store ?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - There are a glass Screen combo and 24" x 12" x 24" Too small.
  • Lighting - I have UVB lighting 12 hours on and off and a heat lamp that stays on 24/7 I don't understand... you say at the bottom "i turn the room fan on at night to drop the temp a bit" but you have a basking light on 24/7?? Basking light should be on while the uvb is on, no more. There should be a temp drop at night.
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer and the temp ranges from 70-80 and usually sticks around 70. At night she is usually around 70 aswell. What basking temp?? The purpose of a basking light is to have a thermal gradient which is hard to achieve in a glorified fish tank, since the basking light raises ambient temp in the tank.
  • Humidity -My humidity level stay around 50-80% Low humidity during day, very high humidity at night. 30-40% humidity during the day and 80-100 at night. This high humidity, along with this substrate that needs to go, and poor airflow is cause for respiratory infections.
  • Plants- I have cloth leaves and a climbing stick I throw in some Kale and put them on the stick and she munches on them. Ditch the fake plants... or we may have to summon he-who-shall-not-be-named. ? (ignore that last part OP)
  • Placement - She is located by a window where we live in the woods, she loves to look outside and there is an air vent but i got a blocker. I turn the room fan on at night to drop the temp a bit. ?
Thank you so much for your help I found some more live plants and have taken the kale out. i checked on some terrariums that i am interested on buying and will keep you posted though I will show tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom