A question about egg-lay(ing/ers)

Chameleophlaged

Avid Member
THE STORY

I like live bearers, I have great luck with them, but I wanted to diversify the species I'm working with and decided to pair up a Kammer Ambilobe with a Canvas Creations male pair. I didn't want a particularly large clutch so I only left him in the cage about 24 hours (enough time for at least 3 witnessed matings).

I set up a laying bin according to directions and waited for her to start behaving differently. She didn't act any different for 3 weeks, so i decided I'd put her in the bin, she hated it. I put her back and she still wasn't acting particularly restless, but I decided to try a different approach.

I cut a 5 gallon bucket to 12 inches, filled it to top with mixture and moved things around so I could fit it in the bottom of her cage, a 24X24X48 screened ReptiBreeze outside 27/7 in So Cal. I then put 10 inches of ReptiBark over the entire bottom and covered it with 2-3 inch smooth rocks to the level of the bin dirt, making the bottom of the cage level with a 12 inch circle of dirt surrounded by rock. The whole thing was wrapped in heavy privacy curtain black side in with top uncovered and enough looseness around the bottom for good air circulation.

After getting it all set up outside temp was about 90 at 9AM and this thing looking similar to a POW sweatbox than something I wanted my cham in, I grabbed the ol trusty laser temp gun and lifted up a lower corner and shot in ...77 not bad...shot down from the top to the basking spot 86... OK things look good.

Well naturally I wondered "Well whats she doing?". I peeked in and all I saw was a big pile of sand/mix and a blueish dark tail curled up out of a hole in the ground. WOW... pretty cool . I went away and fed the rest of the gang (about an hour and a half) and decided I'd check in on her again \. She hadn't budged! I freaked thinking maybe she was dead so I touched her tail, she wasn't dead. Cool..I went away again.

About an hour later it was close to 100, the misters had come on a couple of times, so I decide I'd again check the temp in the sweatbox. It was 82 bottom 94 top, but what I did notice was that she was sitting up high in the cage getting some of the sun that comes in and had buried her tunnel and flattened everything down. She still looks fat.

THE QUESTION

How do I know if she laid eggs or if that was a exploratory tunnel without pulling the bucket out and digging it up?

I’m going to start by saying I only have experience with veilds. But She should be noticeably smaller, it will be obvious.

But I also have a question for you. You said
I didn't want a particularly large clutch so I only left him in the cage about 24 hours (enough time for at least 3 witnessed matings).
Deos the # of matings have an effect on the volume of offspring produced? Is this only in live bearers or egg layers too? I’ve never heard that and I guess I’ve just always assumed one successful mating would transfer enough sperm to fertilize the entire clutch...

Deos the # of matings have an effect on the volume of offspring produced? Is this only in live bearers or egg layers too? I’ve never heard that and I guess I’ve just always assumed one successful mating would transfer enough sperm to fertilize the entire clutch...

That was an assumption on my part. I just figured that if I left him in with her for up to two weeks as I had read, she could easily have a full clutch (30-40+ ?who knows?), but maybe, just maybe, I could limit the size of the clutch.

I assume there are people on here that know if this is true or not.

I guess I'll have an idea of this theories viability in a few days or so, when I dig up and start to fret over "X" number of eggs

And thank you for the response. I figured she would be thin, tired and dirty when done.

I just looked in. she's perched mid cage waiting for it to warm up, still fat.

I've decided that she was checking out the ground texture, seeing if it was acceptable.

Females, I guess, cross-species even, want things their way.

That was an assumption on my part. I just figured that if I left him in with her for up to two weeks as I had read, she could easily have a full clutch (30-40+ ?who knows?), but maybe, just maybe, I could limit the size of the clutch.

I guess I'll have an idea of this theories viability in a few days or so, when I dig up and start to fret over "X" number of eggs

Where did you see that you should leave them in for two weeks? I've only heard and experienced to leave the male with the female until she is not receptive anymore or no longer them 24 hours. I just bred my two about two weeks ago and left them together for two locks.

Weighing the female is the easiest way to tell but only if you do it before and after. They do dig several test holes just to make you crazy before they lay.

I’m pretty sure the only ways to limit clutch size is via heat and food restrictions. The clutch size is going to be what it’s going to be, it’s just a matter of how many of the eggs get fertilized.

I’m pretty sure the only ways to limit clutch size is via heat and food restrictions. The clutch size is going to be what it’s going to be, it’s just a matter of how many of the eggs get fertilized.

Proof that you are correct

WP_20180718_008[1].jpg

Not a particularly small clutch, But... YEA ME!!

Back
Top Bottom