A new cage - critique me

Lokanga

Finally getting close with a new (larger) cage set up.

I have had "Pretty Boy Floyd" since the first week of May and he is now 5.5 months old.

He has been steadily growing and caught him shedding three weeks back.

He eats very well, dusted crickets (without D3) each feeding and with D3 /vits twice a month which are gut loaded on Dino Fuel Repahsy Gut load and all natural greens / kale, oranges, fruits, carrots and the like. He also (love love loves) but only gets them once in a while wax worms.

He chows down on Hornworms (around 1 inch), also fed ocassionaly. Plus Phoenix worms.

LizardStuff010.jpg

I have had him in a temporary set up/smaller cage to ensure he could find his food and adjust to living in Colorado.

LizardStuff001.jpg

Since first setting up the "junior cage" I cave him the option after a month to do some free ranging :)

He is still very hesitant but I am not pushing him to make the scramble to the live Ficus.

He does love to oogle me hanging upside down from the top of the cage and does his little exploring around.

LizardStuff004.jpg

LizardStuff007.jpg

Start of the build out of the new cage 36 H x 18 D x 36 Wide.

NewCage002-1.jpg

Planted up with live plants as follows:

Pothos (hanging)
Mass Cane - far right
Dracana - far bottom left
Golden Pothos - semi center

NewCage004.jpg

I then added some fake jungle vines and a few silk leaves to provide a natural shade umbrella pathway from the far lower right corner all the way to the top left back corner where the basking light will go.

NewCage005.jpg

There are two misting heads on each left/right front corner slightly angled down and onto the hanging pothos and the Mass cane.

I furthermore build a drip /rain/soak system which is hidden behind the full length lighting hood.

Will take some pictures of that if there is interest.

Still need to change over the Basking Light and the digital thermometer and Hydrometer.

The watering system is an Exoterra monsoon.

The light hood has two UVB 5.0 Bulbs and 2 Plant lights

That looks really, really good! Where did you get your UVB light fixture? I've been looking for a bigger one that hold more bulbs!

Nice job on both cages.

I would suggest putting a couple of basking branches by the basking light area to offer a closer distance.
This may reduce the "hang time" on the screen.

Nick

Nice job on both cages.

I would suggest putting a couple of basking branches by the basking light area to offer a closer distance.
This may reduce the "hang time" on the screen.

Nick

Nick,

thanks for the suggestion ;), I had a feeling that was one of the reasons he was doing the Jungle Gym upside down routine.

I'll wrap some more fake vines in that area in a variety of heights and see if that improves the behavior.

I have increased the temperature somewhat since taking these pictures from about a month ago of the basking spot and the mid point temperature on the opposite side of the cage.

Basking spot now runs around 88F average. and the mid point now is around 72F, with a temp drop to 65F @ night. But he seems to do the same crazy "ceiling dance"

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom