A new beginning.

boots123

I am thinking about getting a veiled cham next weekend. I just want to know everything I need. I have a screen cage with some sticks and plants with a water dropper, and I know what to feed it. Can ya'll help me out? :)

Hi. New begginings is special so you have lots to be worrying aboot. LOL. You can learn everything you need to know on this chamsome website :D

You will also learn that we are corny, weird, strange, addicted to our chameleons or other reptiles, and well... yea.. you'll figure it out soon enough.
:rolleyes:

Is this good setup? There's a container in the back corner for crickets, and a little bowl for mealworms/silkworms. I'm getting a water dripper this weekend.

Attachments

• Camera(10) (1).jpg
    Camera(10) (1).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 127
Yeh, it already looks fantastic! Did you do you research on the forums or elsewhere? If you wind up getting the cham before the dripper, you can just toss a few ice cubes up there every day for the meantime, they work fine.

Practically everywhere. Lol. I was going to get a cham a couple months ago after researching for weeks, but I chickened out :p so I know a lot, but I just wanted to make sure the info I had was correct. Then I found this site and it explained everything so much better, most sites were really vague. So now I'm more confident. I'm going to by the dripper when I buy the probably Saturday.

Is necessary to have a heating pad?

It is not necessary to have a heating pad. I actually think I read somewhere that you shouldn't get one. They only really need it when they're being shipped i think. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm sure you don't need one, but I'm not sure if it would hurt or not. I'll let the more experienced members answer that. ;)

I agree with the others, your enclosure is looking good! I think that a few more horizontal sticks and another vine or two wouldn't hurt.. They really like to climb around and your new cham is going to be exploring everything inch of his enclosure it can get too. Make sure your chameleon can't be burned by the bulbs on the top. The baby is definitely going to attempt some ceiling climbing!

Our Chamelon Care Resources section has a lot of information on setting up the cage and a caresheet specifically for veileds. Check the links below:

I agree with the others, your enclosure is looking good! I think that a few more horizontal sticks and another vine or two wouldn't hurt.. They really like to climb around and your new cham is going to be exploring everything inch of his enclosure it can get too. Make sure your chameleon can't be burned by the bulbs on the top. The baby is definitely going to attempt some ceiling climbing!

I have the heat lamp on a clamp, I measured and its about 10 inches from the highest branch, is that okay?

Just in case you don't see it elsewhere... Don't use ice cubes for anything cham related... Chameleons don't like cold water (well documented) and I suspect freezing water would cause a lot of unhealthy stress.

Best advice I will give you is double check everything, figure out who the "experts" are and believe what any 3 of them agree on. Use the search function here ALOT when given new "tricks".

Edit to add: "Experts" includes all published web pages. Many of the experienced members here know as much as anyone on earth in regards to chameleon care.

I have the heat lamp on a clamp, I measured and its about 10 inches from the highest branch, is that okay?

That should be fine depending on the wattage of the bulb. Whats really important is the distance from the bulb to the screen! If your chameleon is hanging directly under the bulb upside down on the screen then your chameleon could be burned on it's underside! I would say make sure the bulb is a minimum of 3 inches away from the top of the screen. If its a 100w bulb or more, maybe even further. If you need to, raise the height of the basking branches till they are about low to mid 80's for a young veiled.

I'm 98% positive it's only a 60 watt. I'm going to be getting another heating source though. The temp is barely 70° and it has been on for a few hours

Back
Top Bottom