A little worrie

my chameleon has been acting strange recently, he's kept in the same area of his habitat, and he hasn't been eating much. I'll post pictures later when I get home. He is a veiled Chameleon

I do not know if the picture attached with this, but he's a 5-6 month year old veiled chameleon, I keep him in a 20 gallon class aquarium with a grated top, I do not know the brand of which the light is, but it is what the pet store employee recommended. I feed him about 6 large meal worms a day (I give him constant access) he used to finish off what I gave him within about 30 minutes, but lately he's been leaving them in his feeding dish.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 127
Aquariums are for fish and not suitable for chameleons as they lack height and ventilation.

As light you will need 1 UVB lamp and a basking bulb (can be household bulb)... There are lamps that give both heat and uvb but it will be very difficult to determine what wattage you need to give both sufficient heat and UVB.

mealworms are just about the worst feeder you can give. They have almost no nutritious value and have a tough shell that can cause impaction.

I highly advise you to find the research section if this site, it will contain all info you will need to raise a healthy chameleon.
Pay special attention to the caresheet for veiled chameleons, learn it by heart.

Aquariums are for fish and not suitable for chameleons as they lack height and ventilation.

As light you will need 1 UVB lamp and a basking bulb (can be household bulb)... There are lamps that give both heat and uvb but it will be very difficult to determine what wattage you need to give both sufficient heat and UVB.

mealworms are just about the worst feeder you can give. They have almost no nutritious value and have a tough shell that can cause impaction.

I highly advise you to find the research section if this site, it will contain all info you will need to raise a healthy chameleon.
Pay special attention to the caresheet for veiled chameleons, learn it by heart.
I did a lot of research on the care of Chameleons, but apparently not enough. I will replace his habitat once I get the money to do so. Does this look more suitable for him? Also, judging by the picture, does he look unhealthy in anyway?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 138
You would be better off getting a larger 24in. X 24in. X 48in screen cage. That won't be big enough for an adult.

I do not know if the picture attached with this, but he's a 5-6 month year old veiled chameleon, I keep him in a 20 gallon class aquarium with a grated top, I do not know the brand of which the light is, but it is what the pet store employee recommended. I feed him about 6 large meal worms a day (I give him constant access) he used to finish off what I gave him within about 30 minutes, but lately he's been leaving them in his feeding dish.
You are doing so many things wrong not to say it 100% your fault but you should really research what your pet needs to live a healthy life. Chameleons need alot of very specific things to survive.

No excuses, but I think my problem was inadequate information from the pet store employee. I was told that the glass would be better suitable for him for temperature reasons. But, the grated top would allow sustainable airflow. I'm realizing now I should have looked at multiple sources before the purchase. But I am still wondering if there is anything visually wrong with my chameleon that will cause any concern that demands immediate attention

No excuses, but I think my problem was inadequate information from the pet store employee. I was told that the glass would be better suitable for him for temperature reasons. But, the grated top would allow sustainable airflow. I'm realizing now I should have looked at multiple sources before the purchase. But I am still wondering if there is anything visually wrong with my chameleon that will cause any concern that demands immediate attention
He looks healthy at the moment from that picture but there are some things you wont be able to tell from the picture i suggest researching how to tell if your chameleons healthy . Just type it in.

I did a lot of research on the care of Chameleons, but apparently not enough. I will replace his habitat once I get the money to do so. Does this look more suitable for him? Also, judging by the picture, does he look unhealthy in anyway?
This is what i built for under 100 for both of them

Attachments

• 20170207_131122.jpg
    20170207_131122.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20170207_131139.jpg
    20170207_131139.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 100
Review the care sheets and I recommend filling out the how to ask for help form so we can help you fix deficiencies and mistakes that have to be corrected immediately

This is 30" x 18" x 30", and I already have artificial plants to put in, was looking into natural but now I'm spending the money on the new enclosure. Does this look fitting? If not, any online suggestions you have? I really do want what's best for him

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    920.9 KB · Views: 115
In regards to misinformation from pet store employees... They will tend to only know about as much as they need to in order to make a sale... In the future, independent research will be your best friend when it comes to exotic animals.

Read through the articles on the resource page here on the forums: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

It has all the info you will need to make sure you keep your chameleon healthy and happy.

In all honesty independent research should always be done before undertaking any new project. Don't take people's word. Source the source, verify facts, is it reputable, scientific, peer reviewed

Back
Top Bottom