A little help for a Newbie....

Russman

I could use some assitance with a new chameleon I purchased. I was an avid snake breeder in my younger days but this is a gift for my daughter and my first chameleon.

In my research, it appeard that a Veiled would be a good fit for the 1st time around. As he is home now and growing accustomed to his surroundings, it appears that he may not be what I was told he is. The petshop is a very longstanding, successful shop in a small town and the owner is a freind and long time insurance client of mine. Although not the best place to purchase a chameleon, I feel good supporting those who support me. This critter was the last of a bunch of babies that arrived 4 months ago and is a good, healthy eater with a gentle disposition

At any rate, I was told he was a male. At home, I didn't see a tarsal spur and the double rostral protuberances didnt appear to be consistent with a Veiled. I looked at a hundred pictures and didnt see one with nearly the ornamental nostril of this guy.

Its appears clear we have a Fisher Chameleon but one never knows. There is a wealth of good info on the Veiled but not nearly as much on the Fisher.

I'd like someone to look at these pictures and confirm that its a Fisher and if someone might point me in the right direction for information, proper sexing, etc... that'd be great. The link for pictures is here: http://img534.imageshack.us/g/img1285v.jpg/

I wanted a Veiled because they're hardy and make good pets for a beginner. Is the Fisher as good a choice? My friend will not take any issue whatsoever in taking him back so I might wait for a Veiled if that makes sense. Any assistance from the experts would be great!

Russ

hi there,

welcome to the forums:)

yes it does appear you have some kind of fishers chameleon..although sorry im not the guy to know its exact species....but it looks to be a Kinyongia multibercata??? not sure....

can you post pics of your set up and maybe fill out the ask for help form in the link below....:)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

btw he/she does look rather healthy from the care you have given and little research you could of found...this forums is a great site to research and ask questions

He's in an 18x18x18 Exo Terra screen terrarium with a couple of nice climbing branches, some good artificial plants for hiding and a substrate of kiln dried wood fibers suitable for small reptiles. http://img839.imageshack.us/i/img1292q.jpg/ A small bulb for warmth/basking a little dripper system

well i dk the exact care for this species but i can help you with the basic set up...

so far you doin great with the set-up you have....though you need..

UVB LINEAR BULB 5.0 REPTISUN/OR REPTI-GLO

REMOVE SUBSTRATE-CAN CASUE IMPACTION..AND JUST HARDER TO CLEAN..YOU CAN PUT DRY PAPERTOWELS OR LEAVE IT BARE

ADD MORE FOILAGE(LIVE PLANTS LIVE POTHOS) AND ALOT OF MORE BRANCHES AROUND THE CAGE...

MIST HIM/HER WITH A BOTTLE A FEW TIMES A DAY TO ADD HUMIDTY,THE DRIPPER IS GOOD

AND IF POSSIBLE PROVIDE A LARGER SCREEN CAGE....CHAMS TEND TO ROAM MAYBE A 18X18X36???

HOPE THIS HELPS...

I knew the 18x18x18 was a bit small, too. I was concerned about the substrate... It could easily get caught in their mouth when feeding. Branches are easy for me to come by.

What is an ideal temperature in the basking area and what humidity should I be shooting for?

I think I'm going to keep him and take a shot with the Fisher. I read a lot of good things on this site about the Kinyongia's... whatever subspecies he might be. He does look to be a male given the size of his 2 horns... the females don't protrude much from the head, maybe 1/8" and our boy is way past that. Being my daugter is 6, having a cham that is maybe 12" long seems a bit more apporpriate than the possibility of a male veiled which can get quite larger. Seems like Chams are habit forming and more may be in our future as one leads to two, and so on, and so on

I knew the 18x18x18 was a bit small, too. I was concerned about the substrate... It could easily get caught in their mouth when feeding. Branches are easy for me to come by.

What is an ideal temperature in the basking area and what humidity should I be shooting for?

I think I'm going to keep him and take a shot with the Fisher. I read a lot of good things on this site about the Kinyongia's... whatever subspecies he might be. He does look to be a male given the size of his 2 horns... the females don't protrude much from the head, maybe 1/8" and our boy is way past that. Being my daugter is 6, having a cham that is maybe 12" long seems a bit more apporpriate than the possibility of a male veiled which can get quite larger. Seems like Chams are habit forming and more may be in our future as one leads to two, and so on, and so on

lol..chams do get addicting when you start enjoying them:rolleyes:

and im glad you are researching alot here...and for the basking temp try to shoot in the 80's-85

and humidty since its a kinyongia..mite be good to up the humidty to 50% and higher...

live plants and misting help alot...and at night turn the lights off and let the temps be in the 60's if possible but not much lower...

you need suplements....but for kinyongia, dust the crickets lightly..due to that kinyongia i hear are very sensitive to over-supplementation.

you need clacium without d3( most feedings but lightly

calcium with d3(once a month

and a mulitvitamin(one a month

there are experience keepers like "Cainschams" he knows his stuff..give him a PM(private message) and he can inform you on the specific care:)

Back
Top Bottom