A few questions; I'm new here. :)

CAETimlin32

My avatar is a picture of the little guy I'm picking up today, I'm so excited. I have actually been visiting this site the last couple of months after googling and searching for information on owning a chameleon, so you all have already been helpful.

• I am wondering though, what is a simple and healthy way to clean their cages?
  • Where did you all get limbs for their cages? If you got them from outside your home, how did you prep them so they would be okay to go in a cage?
  • The owner has told me that he LOVES live crickets, but I'm wondering what you all use for the best supplements?
  • Also, where do you all keep your chameleon(s)? Where do you find they are most comfortable within the home, and if you do take them outside, how do you take them out and keep them safe?

There is a Pet Supermarket close to my home that sells live crickets, so I have that part figured out. I actually just got off the phone with them also.

If there is anything else you all can think of regarding getting him set up here, please share, I am reading to learn everything I can so me and my new friend can have a couple good years together.

Thanks in advance,

Caitlin

In regards to cleaning it'll mostly depend on whether or not you decide to keep any kind of substrate on the base of your viv, however you'll find the majority of us on here advise against substrate in chameleon vivs altogether. It makes cleaning the viv a hell of a lot easier for you, but also it's generally cleaner and healthier for your chameleon too, as most substrates can harbor fungi and/or bacteria. So either go for no substrate at all, or just simple paper towels on the floor of your viv.

As for the actual cleaning, warm water and a little regular dish soap with a non-fibrous cloth (or again, paper towels) on all surfaces in the viv will do the trick and then a wipe down with a damp cloth afterwards.

As for prepping branches from outside I can't give you any advice, I've read about it and I've found that most people advise against it, it's safer to just buy branches. You can find good ones online or probably even from where you're buying your chameleon. They come in a variety of sizes which you can choose from to suit the size of the viv.

When I got my chameleon over here the only supplement powder available at the store was ReptiVite, but after some research I found it wasn't the best quality I could be giving him. I was recommended and read quite a lot about the success of Repashy's line of Calcium Plus, it's an all-in-one and has received very high praise, so I'll be getting a container of that through the post tomorrow.

Also, don't forget to feed your crickets, apple, carrots, basil, there's a wide variety of things you can feed them, but also a wide variety that you can't. I found a great deal of the list here: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.fr/2014/07/the-anatomy-of-gut-loading-ingredients.html

I live in the north of France, so our temperature's nothing compared to yours in Florida, as a result I keep my viv in my room not far from my radiator and my window, in the winter the heating's always on and keeps the room at a constant, comfortable temperature, and in the warmer months my apartment gets plenty of sun, so the ambient heating isn't an issue.

Living in an apartment I can't really take mine out as it's rather cold here at the moment, but if you're planning on keeping live plants in your viv (they help maintain the humidity as well as provide natural greenery and climbing structure) you could get something large to keep/take outside that your chameleon could go on, but keep it clear of hedges and things that he could climb onto and vanish in. Schefflera arboricola and Ficus Benjamina are safe plants for chameleon vivs and you can easily purchase them in decent sizes to serve as climbing structures, as well as many more. However as I can't take my own chameleon outside due to the low temperatures, I can't advise you about whether or not you can take the same plant FROM you viv and put it outside specifically for him to climb on, I don't know if there would be a risk of carrying "foreign organisms" back into your viv, but to be on the safe I'd purchase a plant specifically for your viv and another for his outside use.

First off, WELCOME!! You seem to have the right concerns in mind. You'll do just fine.

My avatar is a picture of the little guy I'm picking up today, I'm so excited. I have actually been visiting this site the last couple of months after googling and searching for information on owning a chameleon, so you all have already been helpful.

• I am wondering though, what is a simple and healthy way to clean their cages?
    I've always found it easy to just place paper towels or news paper on the bottom of the cage. Its east to remove and dispose of and in the case of the paper towels , they will help absorb some of the misting/dripping.
  • Where did you all get limbs for their cages? If you got them from outside your home, how did you prep them so they would be okay to go in a cage?
    You can find untreated wooden poles/rods at a HomeDepot or hardware store what can be cute to size and secured with pushpins through the screen cage and into the ends. If you live in a area thats fairly remote and not treated with pesticides, you can use branches from outside . Mix a 1/10 solution with bleach/water and spray the branches and let them dry fully. You can bake them (is not too large) in the oven at 225* for about 20 minutes. Make sure to supervise while in the oven . There are a lot of aftermarket wire-braced vines available. Live plants are always a plus. Because you have a veiled and they can/will eat vegetation, you'd want to choose your plants wisely (there is a cham-safe plant list somewhere on here). Also take the time to rinse your plants clear on pesticides and cover the coil with smooth river rocks (ones larger than your Cham can ingest).
  • The owner has told me that he LOVES live crickets, but I'm wondering what you all use for the best supplements?
    It would beneficial to offer your cham a verity of insects. Many of the feeder vendors on here offer reasonable deals with shipping. Look into "gut-loading" your feeders. The chain pet shops may be feeding their feeders less desirable foods that you wouldn't want your Cham eating. Gut-Loading is as simple as feeding your feeders left over leafy greens, fruits and veggies. #WasteNotWantNot. Supplementing can be don't with the combination of a few different "duster" supplements or a "all-in-one" daily. I like and have been using Repashy Cal-PLUS. It can be used with every feeding.
  • Also, where do you all keep your chameleon(s)? Where do you find they are most comfortable within the home, and if you do take them outside, how do you take them out and keep them safe?
Some Chams are disturbed by heavy foot-traffic. So places that are physically and visually disruptive should be avoided. That being said, i've had Chams raised from young and used to being handled and human activity kept in my living room without issue. But all Chams have their own personality and thats for you the owner to decipher .

You'll also find that your Veiled will become (if not already) Cage territorial and will hiss and gape mouth open when you try to get them out of their cage. You can use "the stick" method. Place a stick for him/her to climb onto and then take them out that way. They usually calm down once out of the cage. Careful with your Cham outdoors with predators, i had a incident with a Kestrel (falcon) a few years ago that could have resulted in the loss of my Cham. Its good to have a smaller "sun cage" to have them protected while outside enjoying some natural UVB via the sun.

There is a Pet Supermarket close to my home that sells live crickets, so I have that part figured out. I actually just got off the phone with them also.

If there is anything else you all can think of regarding getting him set up here, please share, I am reading to learn everything I can so me and my new friend can have a couple good years together.

Thanks in advance,

Caitlin

~Jon

Last edited:
No problemo, I'm sure there are others on here who'll possess a wealth of information for keeping chameleons where you are, over here in France the reptile pet community is rather small but growing.

Can I ask what kind/size vivarium you've bought for your chameleon? What other equipment have you already bought?

No problemo, I'm sure there are others on here who'll possess a wealth of information for keeping chameleons where you are, over here in France the reptile pet community is rather small but growing.

Can I ask what kind/size vivarium you've bought for your chameleon? What other equipment have you already bought?

The current owner already has everything and she is passing it on to me. UVB lamp, cage, running water fountain, kind of like a mini spring/river for reptiles... the cage she is passing on to me is only 2' x 3', I would like to get a bigger one soon. I'm going to stop on the way home and get some live crickets, there is a pet store down the street from me, and they sell them. The current owner also is giving me a cricket carrier, so I'll be able to take that into the store to get dinner tonight.

Whatever I find that I need, I plan on getting over the next couple of days/weekend. I want this little guy to be happy and healthy. I have always taken pet owning very seriously, so I want to make sure that I am doing everything as best as I can.

Thanks for all of your help so far Adman, I totally appreciate it! ;)

Caitlin

Waterfall/fountain=bacterial growth and possible infections/illness.
A drip or misting system is highly preferred

Okay, gngorman. Yeah, so far I've read that is what seems to be used mostly around here. I will definitely go check that out online right now. I do have to stop by the pet store on the way home too.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

That being said. This seems to be getting good reviews. I like the fact that it's contained and filtered. If kept high enough to avoid feeders falling in and regular cleaning, this should make cham hydration pretty "easy". https://www.chameleonforums.com/water-fountain-does-work-small-chams-138632/

Hey JonRich,

I just got back with him, and she has this stuff called Repisafe that goes in the fountain to keep the water clean. Either way, tomorrow I am going to clean the entire cage, and figure out the fountain. The motor is running, but the water is not flowing. Probably something got unwedged during our traveling. In the meantime, I did mist him and the cage.

kono 1.jpg

There he is! YAY!!!

Reptisafe is a chlorine remover, won't keep the water safe from bacteria. I use a Mistking system for my veiled, but another option is a dripper. You could use a waterfall, but you need to see it as a daily cleanup. Crickets and fecal matter can get in it easily.

Reptisafe is a chlorine remover, won't keep the water safe from bacteria. I use a Mistking system for my veiled, but another option is a dripper. You could use a waterfall, but you need to see it as a daily cleanup. Crickets and fecal matter can get in it easily.

The previous owner did say just this, but thank you for the reminder! :)

Can you order it?

Unfortunately no vendors would send it to Europe, but fortunately one of my best friends who used to live here is now living in California, I asked him and he said I could have it delivered to his place and then he'd forward it on to me. I've read a plethora of good reviews for the Cantina, so I'm quite curious how it'll go over with my little guy, and it's surprisingly inexpensive.

The current owner already has everything and she is passing it on to me. UVB lamp, cage, running water fountain, kind of like a mini spring/river for reptiles... the cage she is passing on to me is only 2' x 3', I would like to get a bigger one soon. I'm going to stop on the way home and get some live crickets, there is a pet store down the street from me, and they sell them. The current owner also is giving me a cricket carrier, so I'll be able to take that into the store to get dinner tonight.

Whatever I find that I need, I plan on getting over the next couple of days/weekend. I want this little guy to be happy and healthy. I have always taken pet owning very seriously, so I want to make sure that I am doing everything as best as I can.

Thanks for all of your help so far Adman, I totally appreciate it! ;)

Caitlin

Congratulations on your new chameleon. I have a male veiled and he is full of personality. I adore him!

Find out how old the UVB bulb is--they start deteriorating from the day they are turned on and most need replacement by 6 months at the latest. (Mine were not producing enough UVB in a couple of months.) You can't tell that UVB is or isn't being produced--it is an invisible light to humans. You would need a meter to test it. Most people with only a few chameleons simply replace their UVB bulbs every six months.

I think you will want to get rid of the water fountain. Crickets end up in drowning in them and they become a toxic soup. Very, very few chameleons ever learn to drink out of a bowl of water. Chameleons normally drink water off surfaces, which is why live plants are so good. The droplets of water take longer to dry off live leaf surface after misintg. Water can be supplied by misting with a spray bottle.

I use branches off my trees and I don't clean them. The only time I've baked branches is when I was worried about bringing in some kind of insect into my house that might be living in the wood. Chameleons have a lot of trouble gripping smooth dowels. If you are too worried about pathogens on branches, the bendy vines sold in reptile stores are a good alternative. They come in a variety of sizes and have some texture for grip.

While crickets are a popular feeder insect, feeding them exclusively is not without problems. The farms they are raised at feed them all kinds of garbage, which directly impacts the health of your chameleons. Don't feed your crickets to your chameleon for several days after you've purchased them--feed them good, healthy fresh food, not the Flukers garbage the pet shops will try to sell you.

Did you read the care sheets for veileds?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Enjoy your boy.

Back
Top Bottom