a few more questions.

Joann

Okay so what do you keep your babies in?
Im used to putting baby snakes in small bins so Im not sure what to do with a tiny chameleon.Some pics would be nice.

Do you use bottled water even for misting? Our water is super hard and full of minerals here not to mention chlorine.

Also how do you feed babies? Do you use hemostats and hand feed? If not how do you keep the crickets from escaping and keep track of how much its eating?

I also need to know if as adults do they hide all the time(I expect babies to hide more)? I mean one of the reasons Im looking into lizards is to have something that is more out and about then my snakes.But like I said I dont need anything to cuddle or such so I dont mind just looking.

When you mean babies, what age are you talking? I would suggest getting a chamleon that is around 3-4 months old and nothing too much younger. If you get a chameleon in the 4 month old range you can put him in a adult enclosure, the preferred size being 24 X 24 X 48 screen. You can cup feed your crickets so you can keep track as to how many are being eaten and that way they will not be escaping all over the cage. It really just depends on the personality of your chameleon as to how much they will hide, but you need to provide places for them to do so so they will feel comfortable. As far as the water, if your water is not in the best condition then I would probably use bottled or distilled. I use regular tap water but my water is not that bad.

Okay so what do you keep your babies in?
Smaller screen cages. LLL reptile or DIYcages.com will give you an idea of sizes. Though word of caution. I would not purchase a "baby" as they are fragile and you don't know if it will make it through to the juvenile stage. Most breeders won't sell their chams until they are past the fragile stage, which is usually about 3-4 months old.

Do you use bottled water even for misting?
If your water is hard, then it is recommended as misting is their only source of drinking water. Alternatives is using filtered water. Reverse Osmosis is what most keepers will recommend.

Also how do you feed babies? Do you use hemostats and hand feed? If not how do you keep the crickets from escaping and keep track of how much its eating?
Cup feeding is a technique if you want to keep track of what they eat. Hand feeding is not necessary. I have been unsuccessful at it. Flightless fruit flies is an alternative to feeding babies, but like i said earlier, a juvenile is your best bet and will be capable of eating good sized crickets so escaping a screen enclosure is less likely.

I also need to know if as adults do they hide all the time(I expect babies to hide more)?

It depends on the personality of your cham. Some sit in their bask spot all day long (like mine) and are pretty visible. Some keepers say their chams truck around the enclosure a lot. Mine hide when they become agitated but mostly sit out in the open.

Thanks again.We use filtered water from one of those self serve machines in the grocery store so I imagine that would work fine.

By baby I meant juvenile but will now be aware that older is better.

Is there a major difference in care for a veiled then a panther? The price sure is different.

I still dont know...I love the chameleons but want something a bit more entertaining(I hope that doesnt sound horrible).Im being honest.
Maybe Im wrong in thinking that chameleons are slow, couch potatoes???
Pretty much the only time they move is when they see food???

No not true at all! My chameleon is constantly on the move! They are coolest creatures to watch especially when eating. Some will slow down during the winter months. Some are quite friendly if you get lucky. I handle mine everyday and I move him from indoor cage to a freerange area or a large cage I have outdoor for sunning, as I live in Florida. As soon as I open the door he is climbing on me and if he is outside in his sun cage he will come running over to where I am standing. Not all are mean and anitisocial, but in general they really don't like to be bothered with. I handled mine after the first couple weeks I got him. Some people frown upon this but as long as you are not stressing your chameleon out and he does not seem to mind then I say go for it! Care for Veild and panther is basically the same, except some veild's will eat fruits and veggies and as a rule panther's do not.

Back
Top Bottom