a few more pygmy leaf cham Q's

some1dorky

hi everyone. i have a few (more) questions. First off, i am hopefully buying a trio (1.2) from roo in the future. What is the cage size is recommended for this many? also, what would an estimated overall total for the habitat construction? i have read the article on chameleonnews about the habitat setup, and it has been tremedous help, is there anyone who has used that setup? succesful? how many live plants should be used? and what plants are recommended? thanks for the help!
ryan

Hi Ryan,

Good choice buying CB from Roo. He is the author of those articles on the E-zine, by the way. I use setups very similar to those, mainly because I read his articles as well! They work great. I have some with hydroton and some with aquarium gravel for the first layer, and the hydroton definately works better. I am a compulsive mister, and the hydroton tends to hold the water better than the gravel. I use a different top substrate than the cocofiber sand mix that Roo discusses in his article. I moved to a mix of organic potting soil, sand, and pumice a while back. It works well for me.

A trio of brevs would be comfortable in a 20 gallon and do very well in a 30 gallon. Space would be a bit tight in a 10 gallon. In my 65 gallon tank, I have 5 small plants. A couple of them were in 4 inch pots, one was in a 6 inch pot, and the other two were in smaller pots when I bought them. For a 30 gallon tank, you would probably do well with one larger plant and a couple smaller plants. I use ficus, staghorns, mother in law tongue, pygmy bamboo (the real stuff), a few others. I have never used a pothos in one of mine, but I am guessing it would do well. There is a great plant list at blue beast.. you might want to take it with you to the store and look up some of the names on it. Basically, you want something fluffy and with lots of branches for climbing and good cover. The staghorn looks great in the tank, and the chameleons seem to like it, but not as much as the ficus.

Heika

Last edited:
thanks so much! i almost have all the info i need to start the habitat construction (although i will probably wait until closer to the time i order them). but i have yet another question, if i was to use the same mix of topsoil you use, then would i nedd to provide a pot of seperate substrate for egg-laying, or would a female be able to lay in that substrate?

Your females will lay in the soil without any problem. You don't have to provide a seperate laying area. She will find the most appealing place to dig her hole, usually against a back wall of the aquarium or by a plant's root structure. Be prepared.. it is like an easter egg hunt finding them!

oh, i am looking so forward to recieving my first lil guys and then watching the first set of eggs hatch. upon arrival, how long will it be before the will start to mate? a few months i would guess.... :) :) :) oh and if i was to buy from someone other than roo, who/where would be suggested? ~sorry for the constant questions, i just want to be sure i know everything to keep these lil guys happy once i get them.~
ryan

Hi Ryan,

It depends on the age of your chameleons as to how long it will take before they start breeding. And yes, it is very, very cool to see the first of the eggs hatch! Lots of fun. There are other folks who sell them, but Roo is one of a few who sell them CB.

Heika

Back
Top Bottom