A few enclosure questions

danmar26

Hello All,
I want to start putting together a larger enclosure for my baby veiled. He has doubled in size since I got him Thanksgiving weekend.
1. In a screen enclosure how can I fasten the branches horizontally without putting holes in the screen with wire or screws to support them?
2. How can I facilitate drainage on the pvc bottom. Can I drill a hole in the bottom and have it drain into a tray?
3. Will the uvb and basking bulbs be enough to grow live plants or do I need to add something else?

Thanks in advance, any pics would be a big help.

lYou can use screws but push pins work easily also. They hold well. Depending on what plant or plants you choose, your regular uvb should be sufficient but if you are trying something like a hibsicus that flowers a grow light would be helpful. They are hard to keep indoors. I have a large shefflers that does well with no grow light. I do not have holes for drainage so cannot comment on that one!!!

lYou can use screws but push pins work easily also and wont leave any holes in your screens like screws can. They hold well. Depending on what plant or plants you choose, your regular uvb should be sufficient but if you are trying something like a hibsicus that flowers a grow light would be helpful. They are hard to keep indoors. I have a large shefflers that does well with no grow light. I do not have holes for drainage so cannot comment on that one!!!

Thanks Carol. I see that you have a male Sambava. If all continues to go well with my veiled then I would love to get one. I was awestruck by some of their colors I've seen of forum members who posted them and in some sponsers pages.

How is your drainage system set up if you have one.I would be interested in hearing more about your set up.
lYou can use screws but push pins work easily also and wont leave any holes in your screens like screws can. They hold well. Depending on what plant or plants you choose, your regular uvb should be sufficient but if you are trying something like a hibsicus that flowers a grow light would be helpful. They are hard to keep indoors. I have a large shefflers that does well with no grow light. I do not have holes for drainage so cannot comment on that one!!!

How is your drainage system set up if you have one.I would be interested in hearing more about your set up.

lol! My "drainage system" consists of a shallow tupperware container that I empty when it fills! Not the best, but it works!!!! Not too deep because I never would want my cham to drown, although he is big enough now that if he fell in it, he could crawl right out.

Do you have it inside the cage or out of the cage.Is the plants sitting it it.I was thining about doing that too but was worried about the water from the drip and misting getting every in the cage instead of just where the container is at.Do you have a pic.Thanks and sorry for all the questions.This is tha last part of my set up i half to figure out and put together.
lol! My "drainage system" consists of a shallow tupperware container that I empty when it fills! Not the best, but it works!!!! Not too deep because I never would want my cham to drown, although he is big enough now that if he fell in it, he could crawl right out.

Do you have it inside the cage or out of the cage.Is the plants sitting it it.I was thining about doing that too but was worried about the water from the drip and misting getting every in the cage instead of just where the container is at.Do you have a pic.Thanks and sorry for all the questions.This is tha last part of my set up i half to figure out and put together.

No I don't have a pic. I just position the dripper on a branch that will trickle down into the tupperware container! I am not a rocket scientist lol!!! i have a large plate that sits underneath my plant and catches the run off of the plant when it gets too much water in its roots. I then just take a towel and absorb the water up. And don't apologize for asking questions! That is how we all learn from one another!!!

I drilled a 1 inch hole right in the middle of the PVC bottom and then placed my plant right on top. The weight of the plant creates a dip in the PVC so that most of the water just flows down to the drainage hole. The water drips down underneath through my shelving which has holes and the water is caught in large plastic bins underneath. The following pic will sorta give you an idea.

IMG_0767.jpg

This is gravity at its finest :p

And with the plant over the hole, does the water flow under it into the hole pretty good?
I drilled a 1 inch hole right in the middle of the PVC bottom and then placed my plant right on top. The weight of the plant creates a dip in the PVC so that most of the water just flows down to the drainage hole. The water drips down underneath through my shelving which has holes and the water is caught in large plastic bins underneath. The following pic will sorta give you an idea.

IMG_0767.jpg

This is gravity at its finest :p

I feel it does, though I only do hand mistings and a dripper. There is quite a bit of water in my container near the end of the day and not so much on the PVC bottom. When I get my mist king this weekend, I'll know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom