a farewell tribute to Mr Jingles

Mr Jingles

It is a very sad time for me and mr Jingles. I bought Mr J from a guy that did not tell me that it is illegal for me to keep him in SA. And me not knowing anything did not know what species he was.I only found out that I am not allowed to keep him from other SA members on this forum and that after I had him and loved him for a couple of weeks. Anyhow I was really torn about what to do. He is a flapneck chameleon and he is gorgeous. In the mean time I bought Sky who is a very legal veiled chameleon. Ì did some researh and found that they are also found in the wild where my dad has a farm. So long story short, with the help of some people I have met, Mr Jingles is going to be releases in the forrest on my dad's farm, ro roam wild the way he should have from start.
So it will be a very sad day for me. The release will take place over this coming weekend. I did however order another veiled baby from the same clutch as Sky and will be collecting him on Wednesday. I won't be able to bear seeing Jingles cage empty

That is very sad Elaine. Was he wild caught, and if so how long do you think he has been in captivity?

It is for me yes. As far as I could establish, his mother was wild caught whilst being gravid. He is now about 3 months old and been with me since he was 3 weeks. I have stopped all cupfeeding with him now and I am trying to establish natural hunting by litterally only chucking a couple of crics and roachers in his enclosure. He seems to be finding them as there is none left in the evenings before lights out

he is such a cutie pie

Here he is, forever this size in my mind

Attachments

• 20130513_123359.jpg
    20130513_123359.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 208
Yea IMO just keep him. It's illegal to keep reptiles in my country but I just do so and have a whole collection of them anyways. Who cares if u break the law, just don't get caught! Hahaha

Although so so tempting, our nature conservatives already know about Jingles and ithey are going to help me release him. If I dont they will report me and then I face a huge fine and they will conviscate him anyways. So I'd rather just then release him. At least it will be on my dad's farm, so if I'm lucky I might just come across him one day again. The vet I took him once also threatened to report me

Is that species native to that area? If not, it's not a good idea. I never support letting animals go in the wild. It seems like a good option but never is. Maybe they have a service like Chameo over there where they take in animals. It is a beautiful specimen. Send it to me.

Is that species native to that area? If not, it's not a good idea. I never support letting animals go in the wild. It seems like a good option but never is. Maybe they have a service like Chameo over there where they take in animals. It is a beautiful specimen. Send it to me.

Yes the flapneck are native to our country and are found all around. His mother was probably caught in the same region that we will be releasing him. Ì agree he is a very pretty cham and it's a pity that I cant raise him

My last moments with Jingles was great, he is gone now to be a wildie. He will be so badly missed by me. I have both Sky and Roco to keep the longing away, but Jingles was my first cham and he will always be special. Took some awesome photos of him today before he gone. Will download tomorrow and post

That's a though situation, but it sounds like you did the best thing for everyone. I'm sure it's rough though. You'll get through it.

Back
Top Bottom