A chameleon Breeding pair

madmom12

I am going to a reptile show this weekend and hopefully will be getting a veiled Chameleon! My question is that in the future I would like to breed them and am wondering should I buy a pair now?

My thought is if I add a male/female later then there is no guarantee the one would like the one I would purchase now. Does getting them young even though they will be housed separate they will be around each other help the chances of breeding in the future!

Thanks in advance, I am new to the Chameleon Forum and have found great ideas and thoughts since I found his forum!!

I am going to a reptile show this weekend and hopefully will be getting a veiled Chameleon! My question is that in the future I would like to breed them and am wondering should I buy a pair now?

My thought is if I add a male/female later then there is no guarantee the one would like the one I would purchase now. Does getting them young even though they will be housed separate they will be around each other help the chances of breeding in the future!

Thanks in advance, I am new to the Chameleon Forum and have found great ideas and thoughts since I found his forum!!

If you want to know for SURE the gender of them, look for the ones who already show color.

This is what a female usually looks like
WEB_135222019346_dinomonkey6531.jpg

Male patterns are like this, in columns
fc5cfd_bc0bdd5e7dab6451ee67b729368b05d3.jpg_1024

If you want to get them earlier than 5-6 months (when they start showing color usually) then look for this on MALES
tarsalspur.jpg

See the little pointy spur at the back of the back foot?

Females do not have the spur.

They will not see each other until they are ready to breed anyway, so it really does not matter if you buy a mate now or later. If it is your first chameleon I would get just one now and learn all the ins and outs of that one and then a few months later it will make your decision much easier. Hope that helps.

I would definitely start with a male, and work on husbandry, habitat, schedule, etc, for awhile before obtaining a female. Good luck. You must be so excited. :)

Thanks a lot! That makes a lot sense and think I will start off with a male. I am excited about getting a chameleon! I am hopeful I will have a few choices at the show but if not thinking lllreptile.com if I purchase online. :)

What type of veild cham is the second picture? Crossbreed?

QUOTE=SaintJimmy;1042979]If you want to know for SURE the gender of them, look for the ones who already show color.

This is what a female usually looks like
WEB_135222019346_dinomonkey6531.jpg

Male patterns are like this, in columns
fc5cfd_bc0bdd5e7dab6451ee67b729368b05d3.jpg_1024

If you want to get them earlier than 5-6 months (when they start showing color usually) then look for this on MALES
tarsalspur.jpg

See the little pointy spur at the back of the back foot?

Females do not have the spur.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom