A case of-What the heck to do now?!

DawnLove

Okay, I know this is long, but can you help a newbie out, before I begin to have an anxiety attack..

So I get home from work a little late today, after my fiance was in care for our new juvenile jackson's chameleon (female) all day..He had told me on the phone it looks like she has a crack in her spine area from leaving the light on her too long...Which confused me, cause I knew I mounted her daylight above her cage, and had been making sure the top of any of her climbing surfaces, was not to ever reach above 80 degrees, because Jackon's don't like it as hot as others.. :(

So when I asked how is this possible, he told me he purchased at PetSmart (well actually he called it PetStupid) new lights today, because her Reptisun Sunglo Daylight Spot (75w) had gone out for some reason. He had a Exo Terra Reptiglo 5.0 UVB Compact Terranium Lamp bulb on her as a replacement!! (Not the fluorescent version either, which I had told him when we first started shopping for her cage was a no no!) :mad:

This is a compact UVB for her basking lamp!! He had no clue they were two different things. :eek:
12516.jpg

He was already gone right before I came home, and I notice the skin on her back is white, I can see faint green through it, but it's pretty darned white..now I can see it on her tail as well. I took the light off of course, but Im in panic mode, and my heart is breaking, I've searched online for some answers, but they mention how UVB burns are generally other colors- like black or brown... Does this mean it's not so severe that it will scar her and damage her, and possibly risk infection? She is acting quite normal for the most part, shes eating fine and drinking her water. What should I treat her with, the "cracks" don't really look like cracks though like I had imagined, they seem to be where her skin may be peeling slightly...but I can't be quite sure til I closely monitor her some time longer..

He also picked up a UVA/UVB combination fluorescent..Because before, down here in Georgia, weather has been great for her to have some daily time outside in her own lil tree secured on our deck, so we hadn't purchased one yet.
The box says its a Exo Terra compact fluorescent canopy, but the combo inside itself looks to be a linear bulb, so I'm thinking some idiot in the store previously switch out the goods in the box? Upon inspection of the light inside, it seems to be a ESU Slimline Super UV Daylight bulb, not sure if this is a good or bad thing?
pPETS-3759433dt.jpg

LOL the replacement bulbs my fiance purchased are Repti Sun Linear 5.0 fluorescents (like he was SUPPOSED to do to begin with..) So atleast he managed something right..

Stupid dillpickles at PetSmart not knowing any better..I think it's safe to say he will never trust their advice again....and he's gonna have some more 'splainin to do when he gets home.

DSC_0467.jpg

Im confused as to what you are asking? Or telling us a story? Sorry, I saw the title, but then no question was asked besides that.. You rid of the spiral bulb, correct?

To me, the white spots look like shed from that picture. If thats what you are wanting to know?!

I had basically asked, what procedures should I take from this point, is it severe, and what can I help do to treat it?

Is it possible that the light just dried the skin to the point of a starting phase of a shedding?

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, the situation had me freaking out a little, and I was trying to be in depth about everything used, for any suggestions and ideas.

I just check her again, and the crack that you see in the picture, is actually green underneathe! Looks very similar to her regular tone, so I really hope shes just shedding and not hurt. I'm keeping a close eye for possible blister formations...

From the picture it looks like a shed. Post a better picture so we get a closer look. Sounds like he just didnt know anybetter when he went to petsmart, take an Ativan and cut him a little slack.;)

To me it looks like she is starting to shed.... I would up the humidity and misting to help her along.

More than likely she will soon "explode" into a shed, and all will be well! Keep us posted, and try and get a nice photo or 2 when it happens. Don't worry about over-reacting, most of us wish at one time or another WE had "jumped the gun" and saved our chams some hardship.
There are no stupid questions (just stupid pet stores)

DSC_0466.jpg

Thanks everyone, after reading some articles, I had read that burns were one of the top causes of Chameleon death, and with her being so young, I was worried.. (I posted the larger picture of a diff angle, I don't know how the other one became so small..)

Also many articles mentioned going to a vet asap if it seemed bad… I didn't know the severity, as I'm not too familiarized with Chameleon skin.
I've been reading this forum all week, and I've found lots of very helpful advice from it, and I look forward to getting to know more & more from you all. Only way to learn, is to educate yourself, and asking about any uncertainties. So again, thank you guys…
:D
P.S. She still seems to be doing okay, and was beginning her morning as usual it seemed before I left for work today.

Looks good to me, just a shed.

FYI burns can show up with a black area surrounded by white. If this was a burn, I'd expect the ridge along her spine to be black, surrounded by white.

It looks like a shed to me.

I use that slimline fixture myself... if you haven't done so yet... change out the stock fluorescent with a 5 uvb... make sure you don't re-attached the clear plastic covering over the bulb (it will block out the uvb rays).

Back
Top Bottom