95% finished. Thoughts?

DapperCham

I'm almost set up for a new panther. It's been about 10 years since I last had one, so I basically started researching again from scratch.

Here's my cage so far. I think I'm pretty happy with it, but I'd love suggestions. I do want to get a hanging plant for the upper left corner and I'm looking forward to the others growing in a bit more. I'm also finding options for some kind of solid screen for the back wall.

I have an Arcadia 6% uvb bulb and a double light fixture with a plant light and basking bulb. The mister wasn't set up yet when I took this photo. Cage dimensions are 30" x 20" x 46".

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20210715_112927_HDR.jpg
    20210715_112927_HDR.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 106
Kind of hard to tell from one pic, but I love the extensive branch highway. Probably more plants would help; they need to hide to feel comfortable.

It was originally a bird cage. I took off the old bottom and built a new stand for it.

I'm going to use dubia as the staple instead of crickets to avoid having them escape.

Do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check your UVI level at the branches? Looks really close and with it being a cage rather then screen you will not have as much of a reduction.

Do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check your UVI level at the branches? Looks really close and with it being a cage rather then screen you will not have as much of a reduction.
I don't have a solarmeter.

The closest branch is about 6" below the top of the cage. I think I'll need to raise the light around 4-5" to get the UVI right, which I just haven't done yet.

It was originally a bird cage. I took off the old bottom and built a new stand for it.

I'm going to use dubia as the staple instead of crickets to avoid having them escape.
Interesting idea. Got me thinking (Uh-oh... :eek:)

That's OK in theory. I started out with the same idea mainly because I hate dealing with crickets.

A varied diet is best, but there are other choices as well.
My panther will eat some dubias, but he'll often balk at them as well. When I supplement with giant mealworms or superworms, he'll eat the worms and leave the dubias. 🤦‍♂️

I haven't tried silkies yet, and quite a few folks here use other species of roach feeders, which I haven't tried either.

1626898200075.png

Last edited:
I don't have a solarmeter.

The closest branch is about 6" below the top of the cage. I think I'll need to raise the light around 4-5" to get the UVI right, which I just haven't done yet.
Yes you would be looking at a total distance of about 10.5 inches from the bottom of the single bulb T5 to the branch with a 6% bulb, since it does not have a real reduction with the bars. :) I would raise it so your cham can not be exposed to higher UVI screen climbing the top panel. I would also lift your heat lamp up off the top a few inches as well.

Back
Top Bottom