911! my panther is as we speak digging, however....

lcsphx

her clutch should indeed be fertile, this is the first time i have dealt with eggs as i recenty got her (shes about 2 yrs old) bet i recently got her and all my other current and past chams have been males. So I prepared her laying bin a week or so ago, but since then I think it has gotten is way to wet from her dripper, so, just as I was going to the other room for a new bin, i look in at her and she is digging , should i stop her and put her in a new bin w/ a perfect mix/moisture? or just let her be? she saw me peak in at her twice, but continued with her business,??? and how quick and how careful do I need to remove the eggs with out causing the air sack in the egg to become flipped around?
can i place them the way i want them?

Leave her alone.

if its too wet at bed time, and shes not asleep in the dirt, you can fix it then.

When my female laid her eggs, I just dumped the bucket onto a trash bag, and carefully picked out the eggs.

as long as you don't do it several days after she lays them, they can be moved a bit.

I would leave her alone for now. Don't let her see you. I would jut move her to the new bin when she is out of the one she has now. The eggs can be moved around without issue for at least a few days. I suggest marking the tops of the eggs with a pencil or non-toxic pen after you have put them the way you want them in the incubation substrate. Then you always know which side is up.

i got a few morw concerns now

thank you both for the input, I got kinda worried and impatient:confused::confused:, she was up all night digging, and then when she stopped I began to worry because she was at an angle where I couldnt peak at her, so I carefully opened the top of the bin for a better view and saw that she was on the very top of the soil but kinda hunched over not moving or even looking at me , thats when I really worried and had to reach in to touch her to insure she was still alive. underneath her was a narrow hole she somehow dug. She moved when I touched her but still seemed to be in a trance, or not too responsive state. I then though , hmmm maybe she laid them through out the night and is ready for food, water , supplements. I placed her back in to her everyday cage, and offered her food, water, but she didnt want any, I couldnt tell if she appeared an skinnier or not. I then began to dig around in search of any eggs but found nothing. So during all the digging they actually stop for sleep? If so, that must be what she seemed to be acting kind of lethargic? after my search for eggs turned up nothing, I placed her back in a larger laying bin with better mix of soil, mulch, sand, about 6-8 inches deep. I guess maybe i should turn the uvb lamp off so she can get some rest as needed. I just hope I didnt make her to upset. to me she doesnt look to to fat though, and never did. she first mated on july 13th again on the 15th 16th.Do what do you think?? any more input would be greatly appreciated and helpful. also what is the average weight of a full grown not pregnant female ambilobe,and how much average do they gain while pregnant?? maybe i could compare...??? i

As to the timing of her laying, you may not know exactly since you were not the owner for very long. The key is to provide that bin and let her dig.

Do not turn off the light to "let her sleep." Animals need a photo period as is natural in the wild aka outdoors.:rolleyes:

She is resting because digging is particularly energy consuming. It is perfectly normal for her to rest and act unresponsive after digging. That's why we are all telling you to LEAVE HER ALONE! Please!;)

When lights go out and you no longer hear digging, you can assume she has decided to sleep or at least stop digging for a bit. I've had females dig all the night through but most times they will rest for the night and resume the next day. Some females can take up to 5 days digging, so be patient.

Weight is highly variable so that's why no one is rushing to throw numbers out there. Having said that, my last female panther was 68grams before laying and about 61 afterward. You really should get a scale and weigh her so that you'll know when she lays the eggs. Food scales from anywhere will just fine.

Hopefully this was helpful to you!

Back
Top Bottom