80 f for veiled eggs

I prefer room temperature, mid 70's. I've read that hatch rates can be better with a day and night temperature fluctuation, and the babies hatch a bit sooner as well. For Veileds, I don't use an incubator, I just stick them on a shelf in a closet.

*Edit* Lele beat me to it. I was still typing when she posted. :p

the room where they are incubating is hitting 79-80 f then it cools down a little at night.they been incubating now for about 7 months and they look good ,they plumped up a little over time.

I incubate my veiled eggs at about 78F. I say "about" because the setup I have consists of a heating pad with a wood and screen frame over it. The frame is raised or lowered to get the right temp. in the container. This method makes the containers subject to small fluctuations in the temperature at night when the room cools. I have close to 100% hatch rate of fertile eggs and have done it this way for many many years. I have hatched various species of chameleon eggs using this method as well as several species of geckos, water dragons, coneheads, turtles, etc.

As the eggs near the hatching date they should start to decrease/shrink in size and sweat and have what I call "windows" appear on them. The "windows" are areas that look a little less opaque and not as white as the eggs where before. I say "should" because all or none of those things can happen.

Then, there should be a little "X" slit happen at one end of the egg and the baby's head should poke out. Some leave the head out and some seem to tuck most/all of it back in. They will lay there almost seeming to be dead for a while or even a day or so....this is normal.

I don't help them out of the egg as a rule because usually if they are not strong enough to get out of the egg they won't be strong enough to survive long. I did help one that managed to split both ends of the egg open so that it had nothing to push against to get out of the egg.

I also kept my eggs in the closet with temps ranging from 75 to 78. It took the eggs about 8 months to hatch all 4 clutches. I kept them in a rubbermaid shoesize container with 2 pinsize holes in the lid with vermiculit and perlite. I have read any hotter than 78 and the eggs will mold and mildew.

did you leave the lids on the plastic containers or take them off when the eggs started sweating?

I leave the lids on. If you take them out the humidity will decrease and its not a good idea to have that happen.

they didnt hatch yet,i thought they hatch in 2 days after they start sweating.none of them hatched yet they are still sweating.

i did take the lids partially off last night because i was afraid that if some hatched in the morning they would suffocate,after some thought i realized that they don,t use much air and ventilating the egg tray everyday is enough air for them.

how many days from when they start sweating can they hatch?

i read 2 days. today is day 2 or 3 some started sweating yesterday.

it can take up to a month tops for sweating eggs to hatch and i personally have hatched a clutch using 75 to 78 d F/ 24 to 25.5 d C and they hatched with in 6 months and almost 2 weeks so it was average i guess but im doing the exact same thing as last time and if i find that they hatch again in 6 and half months then ill always use these temps so we will see wat happens in 3 months time

I check the eggs once a week. When the eggs started to sweat I checked everyday lifted the lid to circulate the air and put the lid back on. The baby may escape if you take the lid off. Once the eggs start to sweat they hatched within a couple of days. One morning you will look in the rubbermaid container and surprise you have a little green baby veiled crawling around. I use a wet paper towel and gently clean the hatchling off and put it in a small screened enclosure until the rest of the siblings hatch. Make sure the water you wet the paper towel with has been declorinated or use distilled .

Back
Top Bottom