7 weeks old Masoala babies color is black. Why?

Zsani

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Masoala, 13 pieces, 7 weeks old
  • Handling -
  • Feeding - They get to eat twice a day. Crickets, fruit flies.
  • Supplements - Rep-Cal vitamins and calcium.
  • Watering - Three times a day they get to drink. Handheld water spray. I see them drink.
  • Fecal Description - They have stool and the normal color and consistency.
  • History - The baby chameleons throughout the day in black or brown in color. I think it is growing more slowly than expected growth. When feeding, they do not start to eat. I thought you were a baby animals will gobble. These, unfortunately, are not.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass terrarium. 20x20x30. Chameleons are divided into two groups. The door is plastic netting.
  • Lighting - Zoomed Reptisun T5 5.0 fluorescent lamps.
    At present, LED light source and a room heater. I tried to 35W incandescent spot as a heating lamp. No changes.
  • Temperature - On average, 26-27 degrees (78-80 F) in the terrarium. I measure temperature continuously.
  • Humidity - I do not measure the amount of moisture.
  • Plants - Zoomed artificial plants.
  • Placement - More terrarium in the room. I covered the terrarium, I thought they would see something. This solution did not help either. I taped the sides of the terrarium, I thought it would be more comfortable. It did not help the problem.
  • Location -
    15628964_1485912951426664_711871071_o.jpg
    15609124_1487212061296753_726994508_o.jpg

This is normal the colors will come later..brown is prob normal black is absorbing light or just the mood..the babies look healthy..just color was your concern? All tongues are working? Active? I forgot to ask what age crickets do you feed and how do you feed them? This size which im guess this babies are 1 in to 2 inch body not include tail..should be like 2 week old crickets now..how when you keep babies in groups its very important to sit awhile and watch the behavior.especially during fedings.even small there is a potentiential or instinct in some for stealing food while other is eating out of mouth..usually i have to seperate 1 or 2 if i see consistent agression in others..this size the agression is tongue on the eye as the attack..or injur own or anothers tongue stealing food from anothers mouth.sometimes biting but more often is tongue to the eyes .see keep eye for that.

Last edited:
Yes, they are nice to catch food. They move, I still see them in another place. You will have a nice color, when I reach into the terrarium. Gray, white and black stripes. Of course, I do not bother them many times.
I see that they grow slowly. In one group are the larger and the other smaller groups. I was wondering if there are fewer of them, they can catch up in growth.

Yes, they are nice to catch food. They move, I still see them in another place. You will have a nice color, when I reach into the terrarium. Gray, white and black stripes. Of course, I do not bother them many times.
I see that they grow slowly. In one group are the larger and the other smaller groups. I was wondering if there are fewer of them, they can catch up in growth.
Each will have its own growth rate i dont know about you but all my eggs not hatched same day..so all babies is somedays even week aparts. First egg to last can be 1 month even..in some cases.then also u have more agressive less agressives eaters...but i think slow grow is to small food maybe..how i feed mine is on an egg carton piece and let them take from it..i put just the amount they get intrested and see how it goes with group eating..if others dont come to the feeding i make a few feeding site and try to get intrest..if no i remove and try next time. If in soem case i get weaklng i might seperate in a small cage own.. to monitor byself..same if any beat up by others..i will seperate to heal the temp mis-shaped eye from a tongue on eye if is the case.

I tried it, I put food in the box. So I put in a terrarium. I tried it, I threw food in the terrarium. They never rushed to eat the babies. Just sit and look. I thought it was a baby chameleon's life consists of eating, drinking, sleeping. I thought that only they can think of eating such a young age. :)

I tried it, I put food in the box. So I put in a terrarium. I tried it, I threw food in the terrarium. They never rushed to eat the babies. Just sit and look. I thought it was a baby chameleon's life consists of eating, drinking, sleeping. I thought that only they can think of eating such a young age. :)
hows is the babies poop look brown part with white part or is brown with orange or yellow? Poops alot your babies? Mine i have to clean every other day poop so much..but u know i keep mine a little warmer just 5 degrees..up to 85 in day and 75 lowest at night approx. I check some hours time ago and i have 80 F and 80% humidity approx in mine.

Back
Top Bottom