7-8 mo veiled not eating

k2lloydindesert

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled, 7-8 months old. got him 4 months ago. Our first cham.
  • Handling - Never handle him because he is VERY resistant. (hisses and strikes at hands in cage.)
  • Feeding - Predominantly crickets, 10-15 daily. 1 Super worm given every day or so. (My attempt at hand taming. We haven't gotten past him taking worm from a cup AFTER I leave cage space.) Cricket bucket is cleaned frequently, gut-loading with Nature Zone total bites and fresh carrots, sweet potatoes, dandelion greens, etc.
  • Supplements - Repticalcium without D3 4xweek, w/ D3 2xmonth, Rep-Cal herptivite 2xmonth
  • Watering - Hand mist 4-7 times a day with pressurized mister. 15 seconds each time? I tried using a make-shift drip cup to offer him water in a different way but he was stressed out by it's presence in the cage so I took it out after a week. I've ordered a "rock-like" drip reservoir online that doesn't recycle the water (concerned about bacteria in pump water systems) but it hasn't arrived yet.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown solid poops, white urates. Seems to be daily. No change from a week ago.
  • History - Baby shipped from FL Chams.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 16 x 16x 36, no substrate.
  • Lighting - 60 watt bulb for basking, Reptisun 13 watt UVB light.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 82 with dial gage. Night temps in house never below 60.
  • Humidity - I live in Tucson so humidity is constant issue. Level fluctuates between 30-50 according to 2 dual temp/humidity gages.
  • Plants - Several plants. (for humidity and snacks) Pothos, schefflera and bamboo.
  • Placement - Cage is in family room on table. Top of cage is 4.5 feet from floor.
  • Location - Desert climate!

Current Problem - Up until yesterday, Spike has been an enthusiastic eater/hunter. I would throw 10-15 crickets in his cage and he would devour them. Starting yesterday, he didn't finish his meal though I believe he ate some crickets. I took the leftovers out of his cage. Today, I gave him seven and don't think he has eaten anything. He is tracking them, but not striking out with his tongue. His last super worm was 4 days ago. Other than not eating, he seems normal.
- Roaming around cage in usual way
- No eye discharge or strange breath sounds
- No signs (to my untrained eye) of MBD. Legs and feet seem normal.
- No obvious swelling or lumps
- Eyes aren't sunken so I don't think he's dehydrated. Are there other signs and would that cause lack of eating?
- No more or less active than usual.
- Loathes being misted.
- Had a shed 2 weeks ago.

I called a local exotic pet store (where I get my crickets) to ask for a vet recommendation and their "lizard guy" said not to worry yet. It could be Spike shifting from baby to adult and having a metabolism shift. I am still worried, though and thought I would run it by the lovely people on this forum. Any advice on how to proceed? This is our first cham so all behavior is new to me and subject to "am I doing this right?" and "is he gravely ill?"

Thank you for your time! I'm trying to upload some photos and will get them posted as soon as I can.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 22F473A2-4C63-4F6A-B00D-B823E9D75606.jpeg
    22F473A2-4C63-4F6A-B00D-B823E9D75606.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DA5CB51E-05D8-420A-89A1-FCD2F874F3CA.jpeg
    DA5CB51E-05D8-420A-89A1-FCD2F874F3CA.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 04E22ECE-6B58-42A0-9C2D-A52DAF301665.jpeg
    04E22ECE-6B58-42A0-9C2D-A52DAF301665.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 69
He’s about the age where they slow down on eating and I start feeding everyother day. He’s probably also sick of crickets. Chameleons need a variety of well gutloaded feeders. Try lindasgone buggie.com
Her variety pack are only $20 and you get 3 or 4 different feeders.

Thank you for your responses! I'm obsessing today and trying not to. I'll just be happy when he eats again. It's just weird to see his appetite just "shut off" so abruptly.

Back
Top Bottom