6500k ultra sun

rocket89

i bought this 6500k ultra sun bulb (zoo med product) and i want to know if it safe? i was told here that my chameleon would need that light along with the uvb light.

i bought this 6500k ultra sun bulb (zoo med product) and i want to know if it safe? i was told here that my chameleon would need that light along with the uvb light.
I buy 6500k bulbs at the Home Depot, and have seen major plant growth, increase. Have mini jungles in many of my small cages.

p_rd_261358_12877.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the understanding that the 6500K are for plant growth and not for benefit of the chameleon. Someone correct me if I am wrong! You need a basking bulb that gives off heat in addition to the uvb. If i am not mistaken(cause I do not have a 6500K) they do not give off heat. From what I see theone you purchsed is an aquarium bulb. Here is a link(looks like the same bulb) http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czo4OiJLZXl3b3JkcyI7czo4OiJMaWdodGluZyI7fQ== Not saying it still cannot be used for plant growth but not sure if that should be used in a chameleon cage either!!!

I was under the understanding that the 6500K are for plant growth and not for benefit of the chameleon. Someone correct me if I am wrong! You need a basking bulb that gives off heat in addition to the uvb. If i am not mistaken(cause I do not have a 6500K) they do not give off heat. From what I see theone you purchsed is an aquarium bulb. Here is a link(looks like the same bulb) http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czo4OiJLZXl3b3JkcyI7czo4OiJMaWdodGluZyI7fQ== Not saying it still cannot be used for plant growth but not sure if that should be used in a chameleon cage either!!!

and that is why i ask lol :D

Last edited:
So you got your uvb, I would return that, go to home depot and get the 6500K grow light for your plants and then use a regular housebulb for your uva/basking. Get a dome fixture for that and you should be good to go. What kind of chameleon do you have? Who sold you that light anyways!!?

Last edited:
So you got your uvb, I would return that, go to home depot and get the 6500K grow light for your plants and then use a regular housebulb for your uva/basking. Get a dome fixture for that and you should be good to go. What kind of chameleon do you have? Who sold you that light anyways!!?

its a panther and i got it of from amazon since i was told i needed a 6500k bulb :(

Hi Rocket89,

6500 is the color "temperature" of the bulb.

The color temperature (measured in kelvin) of natural sunlight can be 5200 K - 7000 k ... give or take.

Many feel the "sweet spot" for the color of light that best emulates the color of mid day sun light is 6500K (or 6.5K).

That means that the bulb has a light that is in the color range of natural sunshine. (Not too yellowish and not too blue)
That is good!
Zoo Med Ultra Sun have a very natural pleasing spectrum of light.

BUT Zoo Med Ultra Suns Tubes DO NOT not produce any UV...
So you MUST have another UV producing bulb to be used with that.
Whoever told you that you need an additional UV B producing bulb was correct!

Not just any UV bulb will do.
Now more than ever, there are some poor quality, and even downright dangerous UV bulbs out there.

Stick with either:
1. Arcadia D3 6.0
2. Zoo med Repti Sun 5.0
3. Exo Terra 5.0

after that... any other brand is kind of a crap shoot... in my professional opinion. :p

Most folks like to mix lighting anyway, and your Zoo Med Ultra Sun mixed with say an Arcadia D3 or a ReptiSun will produce a nice daylight effect and give great light to grow plants under most circumstances.

**Don't forget to add a dome light with an incandescent light bulb for heat.**

In summary, keep the Utra Sun and pair it up with a good UV B light.
Make sure you have a dome light/heat light... and you will be good to go!

Cheers,
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com

Hi Rocket89,

The color temperature (measured in kelvin) of natural sunlight can be 5200 K - 7000 k ... give or take.

Many feel the "sweet spot" for the color of light that best emulates the color of mid day sun light is 6500K (or 6.5K).

That means that the bulb has a light that is in the color range of natural sunshine. (Not too yellowish and not too blue)
That is good!

Now more than ever, there are some poor quality, and even downright dangerous UV bulbs out there.

Stick with either:
1. Arcadia D3 6.0
2. Zoo med Repti Sun 5.0
3. Exo Terra 5.0

after that... any other brand is kind of a crap shoot... in my professional opinion. :p

Most folks like to mix lighting anyway, and your Zoo Med Ultra Sun mixed with say an Arcadia D3 or a ReptiSun will produce a nice daylight effect and give great light to grow plants under most circumstances.

Cheers,
Todd

thank you so much for your help, i really needed that info :D

and i do have a reptisun pair up with the daylight and a basking light as well

Your cham doesn't need the additional 6500K bulb. Your right you need a UVB bulb usually linear florescent and a basking bulb some type of incandescent bulb for heat.
Now if your trying to light a large cage like a 36" or 48" you'll find that one florescent and one incandescent does a pretty poor job of it. That's where the additional 6500K light comes in. I use the DIY dual florescent fixtures with one UVB bulb and one 6500K bulb. Together they do a much better job of lighting up a large cage.

does it matter if it for aquariums?

its says cri rating of 98
balanced coverage of the full spectrum of visible light as well as UVA
promotes the photosynthetic processes in plants and marine algae while enhancing the natural beauty of the aquarium.

Your cham doesn't need the additional 6500K bulb. Your right you need a UVB bulb usually linear florescent and a basking bulb some type of incandescent bulb for heat.
Now if your trying to light a large cage like a 36" or 48" you'll find that one florescent and one incandescent does a pretty poor job of it. That's where the additional 6500K light comes in. I use the DIY dual florescent fixtures with one UVB bulb and one 6500K bulb. Together they do a much better job of lighting up a large cage.

i bought the light light fixture from DYI as well

The way I understood from the original post, was they told him was he needed the 6500K in addition to the UVB. That is not necessarily true! You don't HAVE to have a 6500K light in your cage, but you do however, need the UVB. So I say that is incorrect.

Hi Rocket89,

That is good!

Stick with either:
1. Arcadia D3 6.0
2. Zoo med Repti Sun 5.0
3. Exo Terra 5.0

Cheers,
Todd

so it is ok to use an Aquarium light in a chameleon cage with no ill effects to the chameleon?

As long as you are providing a basking bulb and a UVB bulb you can add the 6500k to the mix no problem. It will be good for any live plants you have in your enclosure.

As long as you are providing a basking bulb and a UVB bulb you can add the 6500k to the mix no problem. It will be good for any live plants you have in your enclosure.

but my question is, is there a difference between a home depot 6500K and and a 6500K that they sell to light up aquariums? Can anyone answer that?

Back
Top Bottom