6% vs 12% UVB

Victoriaedmiston1

Hello! I have the Arcadia 6% linear UVB bulb. I posted a pic of my chameleons enclosure to a FB group I am in (for veiled chameleons) and a lot of people where recommending a 12% instead?? But I trust yall's opinion more lol what do you think??

Generally speaking? 6% will provide necessary UVB levels. Depends on your cage depth and light setup, though. The danger with too much UVB is potential for skin cancer. Check this Chameleon Academy article and chart out:

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

UVB-UVB-penetration-map-011421-untitled-1024x801.jpg

Those two graphics do a good job explaining how different bulbs are able to provide UVB to an enclosure
As you can see the 12% bulbs are able to project UVB light to greater distances in the cage. However, they also need to be placed at a greater distance above the cage to avoid exposing your chameleon to dangerous levels of UVB
9103806B-47D6-4DD5-B47F-EAECD68E2E4E.jpeg
if you look at the right side of this, it shows a 12% bulb resting on the screen will have levels in the cage that are higher than any recorded on earth. I think if you’d like to use a 12% bulb, it is safest to also purchase a solar meter so you ensure safe effective UVB is supplied to your chameleon

Bill strand and others have shown that a UVI of 3 is sufficient for proper health in veiled and panther chameleons without the use of any dietary D3. This is the best data for Veiled and panther recommended UVI available

Back
Top Bottom