6 month old male veiled

tryme

Hi guys my veiled reaching around 6 months now just wanted to know...

-How hot should the basking area be
-How often should I be feeding
-How often should I be supplimenting
-How many food items should I be offering at feeding times (I.e. 10 medium crickets etc)

Hi guys my veiled reaching around 6 months now just wanted to know...

-How hot should the basking area be
-How often should I be feeding
-How often should I be supplimenting
-How many food items should I be offering at feeding times (I.e. 10 medium crickets etc)

I think it is a good time to bump up basking to 90 degrees.
Feed 12 crickets every other day, and 6 on the inbetween days.
For adults I feed every other day.
I go to an everyother day basis to keep appetite up.
Supplement every day, you can take Sundays off.
Also, he may be ready for an adult cage.

I dust with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at most feedings. Most of the feeder insects we use have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. and this helps to make up for it.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. PrOformed (beta carotene) sources of vitamin A won't build up in the system. However, there is controversy as to whether some/any chameleons can convert beta carotene or not so some people give a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while to ensure that they get some. PrEformed vitamin A can build up in the system and excess can prevent the
D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD.

If your chameleon only gets UVB from linear/tube lights and gets no direct sunlight, then you might want to dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from SUPPLEMENTS can build up in the system and cause problems so don't overdo it.

UVB from lights or sunlight should not pass through glass or plastic.

Appropriate basking temperatures assist in proper digestion.

Its also important to gutload your insects and provide them with a nutritious diet.

Phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A are all players in bone health and its important that they are in balance. Look at what you feed the chameleon, what you feed to the insects and the supplements you use when trying to attain a balance.

Ok, what VEG can I use to gutload. Everytime I ask people go off the subject so can I have a direct list of what to give and what to avoid? Thanks a lot.

avoid spinach, tomato, potato, brocolli and any veggies with high oxallate content.
Lettuce is bad.. because.. well, it's only water.

I gutload with collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, squash, sweet potato, red peppers, guava, mixed grain infant cereal, raw and unsalted nuts or egg, carrots, raw coconut. Here is a site with pretty good nutritional value of a lot of common gutload ingredients :)

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

You don't have to get ALL of the ingredients in at the same time. I usually stick with a few different greens and the baby cereal ALL of the time and then rotate the other ingredients in and out.

Back
Top Bottom