6 baby Jackson's... need help!

BruceV18

I was at petsmart today, and apparently the Jackson's they have there have birth! They had no idea what they were doing, and I'm experienced with amphibious so I figured I'd adopt the baby and try to learn, figured it would at least give the little guy a chance. They gave me a cup with 6 inside! The one is very ill and I know will not make it, the other 5 seem healthy. I just put them in a critter keeper with a fake plant with paper towels on the bottom. However I have no lighting, my room is usually around 77-80 for my frogs though. What should I change to keep them in until I build I larger enclosure?!

Also, they are not eating but I'm not shocked by this... and I have UVB 5.0 compact florescent bulbs if needed, Judy don't know how to set that up with a critter keeper.

Awesome info! So I'm assuming the babies should be kept the same way only in a smaller enclosure?
Any good links on a DIY screen enclosure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4zdAuCr8ts

Do you think something like this would work on a smaller scale for the babies? I would also cut out the bottom and screen that too to create drainage. my room temps are pretty warm, so i think I'm going to opt out for a basking spot until I can come up with a safer way to achieve the temp gradients. Perhaps a basking light facing sideways at the top?

They're adorable btw! This is a rough plunge into the chameleon world but I've been doing some research before this as a cham was going to be my next pet. I just thought they'd be a bit older first, lol!

Hello,

Depending on the species(petsmart might know)you might want to search for information regarding rearing montane species.

Goodluxk

e8asady5.jpg

Its a Jackson's, however I'm not sure of the subspecies. For the most part they all look like this. Slight variations in pattern but that's it, coloring is the same. About how is are they do you think?

If I'm successful in raising them would you like one? There's no way I can keep all 6!

Oh yeah. I would love one. I usually keep my newly-hatched chams in a 10 gallon tank. I graduate them to a 29 gallon at 1 month, then to a screen at 2 months. I have had several Veiled clutches and I have raised sickly Jacksons back to health, but I have never bred Jacksons. I plan to soon though.

try to keep it cooler due the babies tend to be more sensitive to that( easier to get hot and to dry out), and to not have the light too close due this would hurt their eyes causing thier death and feed them several times a day as much as they can eat

I dont think i'm putting the basking light on for now, not until they get older. I'm worried about them overheating. The area where im keeping them usually gets to 75 anyway. Also, They are drinking for me just fine, but I dont think they are eating yet. Is it possible it is due to their age or stress related? Granted I've never seen a baby cham before but they looks quite skinny to me. I tried to feed them fruit flies. I think 2 of them ate but no idea about the other 4. Might try pin heads today? I could also try mealworms, however being primarily a frog owner, it has been drilled that mealworms are the works thing you can feed due to impaction risks.Do you think it would be safe to feed mealworms to baby chams this size? It would definitely be easier to make sure they eat that fruit flies, that's for sure!

I dont think i'm putting the basking light on for now, not until they get older. I'm worried about them overheating. The area where im keeping them usually gets to 75 anyway. Also, They are drinking for me just fine, but I dont think they are eating yet. Is it possible it is due to their age or stress related? Granted I've never seen a baby cham before but they looks quite skinny to me. I tried to feed them fruit flies. I think 2 of them ate but no idea about the other 4. Might try pin heads today? I could also try mealworms, however being primarily a frog owner, it has been drilled that mealworms are the works thing you can feed due to impaction risks.Do you think it would be safe to feed mealworms to baby chams this size? It would definitely be easier to make sure they eat that fruit flies, that's for sure!

you need to keep them at 16 grades at night and about 20-23 grades at day, you need the basking light for them to be able to digest their food, mealworms would be good but not in to large amouths, you know what just forget the mealworms just feed them fruit flies, if you see them pooping it means they are eating

It is looking good. I would put in a live plant, or a lot more fake vines they need lots of places it climb. Let us know how they are doing.

Good idea with the cage! I really hate how most Petsmart employees have no idea how to take care of reptiles. Pet stores like that should not have reptiles. I am glad you adopted them, even if you have no experience with them. I hope you the best with them.

I'll see what I can do in terms of live plants tomorrow. Temps and humidity seem to be holding so far. My concern is they are not eating yet... im hoping the better light cycles and better environment will change this but I am very worried

I was considering putting a miniscule amount of reptiboost in the sprayer to try and get some nutrients in them since they aren't eating? Any thoughts?

I was considering putting a miniscule amount of reptiboost in the sprayer to try and get some nutrients in them since they aren't eating? Any thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't, but i don't know their current condition. I dont like putting stuff in their water it might get in their eyes or something. If they are doing really bad it is worth a shot. What species of fruit fly are they, I am thinking Hydei? Are they pooping? Are they sleeping during the day?

I wouldn't give them any reptiboost. Just let them be for a while. Maybe try and take them out into the sunshine tomorrow. Keep trying with the flies. Im sure they are just stressed. They should come around. Give them one more day to see if they eat on their own.

Back
Top Bottom