5 month old veiled

devinjp

Hopefully this isnt an issue I just purchased my second Chameleon and its a male Veil. He has for the past two days been acting sleepy and hanging out right under his basking light with his eyes closed. Today he is responsive but is just hanging out with his eyes closed on my hand. Is there some issue I should worry about I keep reading Chams should be alert and responsive and my Panther is just that are the veils that much different? Any help would be great thank you in advance...
Oh he has been eating crickets and I have been keeping him hydrated.
Devin

Hello and welcome to the forums. :D Fill this out. It will help members identify what could be going on. I hope your little one feels better.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

info

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham Male,5 months I have had him for 3 days I bought him from a repticon show.
Handling -I havent been handling him much besides for today. Trying to let him adjust but today he is just concerning me
Feeding -Gutloaded crickets he has eaten sunday and sat night but nothing today
Supplements -Zoo med calcium
Watering -Misting manual 2 to three times a day for at least a min He has been immediately drinking as soon as I mist.
Fecal Description - He has moist fecal much like my panthers fecal not dry or dicolored
History - N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type -Screen 16x16x34 screen
Lighting -zoo med combo 5uvb and 75 watt basking light 12 hrs then lights out
Temperature - ambient so normally 75 deg
Plants -Umbrella plants
Placement -in my sons room not a lot of traffic.
Location -South Carolina Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -Just starting to sleep or keep his eyes closed during the duration of today not really opening his eyes responsive to me but when he gets on my hand his eyes are closed his grip is tight and his tail curled. I watched him drink. I'm just curious if its just pure exhaustion from being at the repitcon show and now that I brought him home hes just finally crashing? Any advice would certainly help. The current problem you are concerned about.

it could be that your lighting is too intense for him.

Try raising the uvb bulb a bit higher, or provide more places in the cage for him to hide if he needs it.

Chams don't 'crash' so something else is going on.

Are you sure he has total lights out at night? Sometimes street lights have been known to keep chams up.

What exact supplements are you using? You need a calcium without d3, a calcium with d3, and a multivitamin.

what is the basking temp? not the ambient.

ok so after reading your Post ChamMom I did raise his lighting as well as check the temp on the cage which is around 85- 86. Also he has complete dark in the room as far as calcium I am giving him D3 it is the same as what I am giving my Panther since he was 4 months old. My set up is actually the same cage I had my panther in before he upgraded to a bigger cage. Lets of coverage as well.

not sure if this is it but it may help to increase the amount of time you let the mister go off for. If i read it correct you said at least a min? If you only letting it go for around a minute he may not be drinking as much as he would if he had water going for awhile longer. Especially since you said he starts to drink immediately, that is good to know. At least you know he is wanting to drink, but he may be very thirsty also. May not be the issue but hopefully it can help a bit! hope he gets better!

Back
Top Bottom