5 1/2 year old cham male fred seems weak

Dropdeadfred

fred my 5 1/2 year old cham, I've had him since tiny! Like weeks old. About a month ago his uvb bulb went and I thought it was the bulb, my spare wouldn't work turns out it was the light fitting, i couldn't source one locally but was able to get a 2 in one heat and uvb bulb which he has never had before, after a week on this 2 in one bulb I found him at the bottom of the cage and noticed he seemed a little weak and flopy, i then got a new light fitting for the strip bulb and got his set up back to normal as he's had all of his life, we are 3 weeks on now and he still seems limp, i have got some insectigold to try and boost him a bit as I can only get him to eat wax worms, he seems to have no muscles in the front to stand up and I am now to the point where I put him under the heat lamp in the mornings and in the evenings he's back at the bottom (not sure if he has fallen out of his tree or made his way down) and i then have to help him to drink and basically place food in his mouth but he is still eating and drinking but only with assistance. His crest has gone dark in patches and he seems a little paler then normal. Really lost as to what else I can try or if he's just getting old, I've tried to look up old chameleons to see how they act and can't find anything.

Please help ?

20200820_220813.jpg

but anyways plz fill this out in DETAIL, and post pics of his current enclosure.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have had him 5 half years since he was this little so I don't think his feeding and cage set up is incorrect as I did a lot of studying before getting him and have never had any problems with him, like I say i changed to a 2 in one heat and uvb bulb for a week then change back to his normal set up
FB_IMG_1600722181754.jpg

The two in one bulbs should not be used on indoor cages without a solarmeter 6.5. They produce a very high UVB output along with heat. These are meant to be used on very large free range set ups. Too much UVB is just as bad as too little. What exactly are you using for UVB now?

He is very obese as well. I would not feed the wax worms as they are all fat. The casque looks like thermal burns...

If you can please take pictures of the entire enclosure and fill out the form that would assist us in helping you more thoroughly with husbandry.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male veiled chameleon
5 1/2 years old
Since weeks old
More recently (twice a day) as he is weak and having to assist him with drinking
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Used to feed mainly locusts dusted in calcium fed them on all sorts carrots, bug grub... free range in his cage most of the time, wax worms in the bottom in a bowl maybe once a week, now he isn't catching things with his tongue... and have been hand feeding wax worms (he's never eaten crickets as much as I tried)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I've got him insectigold since he's stopped eating locusts and the locusts were dusted with propet calci dust
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have always had a drip feeder and he was very good at climbing over to it and drinking, now I'm popping him next to a dripping tap and helping him, I mist him and the cage with a spray bottle twice a day and have a humidifier that goes off in a time 3 times a day

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Not tested for parasites, mixture of white and brown i think and usually semi wet and solid
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Not that I can think off hes always been active wondering around his cage...

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Made of wood and like fly netting with wooden back, dimentions I read up the minimum when I built it and made it twice the size like two towers side by side with double fronted doors
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Lights on about 7/8am off about 10pm, heat bulb and separate uvb strip
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Thermometer at basking spot reading 70f
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidifier 3 times a day for 30 minutes
Yes have a tree and a climbing plant I can't remember there names but checked cgam friendly
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In lounge, very quiet room away from window, cage about 2 foot off the ground
Devon in England

Male veiled chameleon
5 1/2 years old
Since weeks old
More recently (twice a day) as he is weak and having to assist him with drinking
Used to feed mainly locusts dusted in calcium fed them on all sorts carrots, bug grub... free range in his cage most of the time, wax worms in the bottom in a bowl maybe once a week, now he isn't catching things with his tongue... and have been hand feeding wax worms (he's never eaten crickets as much as I tried)
I've got him insectigold since he's stopped eating locusts and the locusts were dusted with propet calci dust
I have always had a drip feeder and he was very good at climbing over to it and drinking, now I'm popping him next to a dripping tap and helping him, I mist him and the cage with a spray bottle twice a day and have a humidifier that goes off in a time 3 times a day

Not tested for parasites, mixture of white and brown i think and usually semi wet and solid
Not that I can think off hes always been active wondering around his cage...

Cage Info:
Made of wood and like fly netting with wooden back, dimentions I read up the minimum when I built it and made it twice the size like two towers side by side with double fronted doors
Lights on about 7/8am off about 10pm, heat bulb and separate uvb strip
Thermometer at basking spot reading 70f
Humidifier 3 times a day for 30 minutes
Yes have a tree and a climbing plant I can't remember there names but checked cgam friendly
In lounge, very quiet room away from window, cage about 2 foot off the ground
Devon in England

What I am specifically interested in and need are details on are your supplements and what linear UVB your using. Is it a T8 or T5HO. What strength bulb are you using? This is important since it is on the inside of your enclosure and because of the issue your concerned about...

There are other areas of your help form that are not correct but there are not enough details either.

So due to his age and the use of the 2 in 1 bulb if you could just give me specifics on the above then we can get a better idea of the issue causing the weakness.

• calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

The bulb is a repti glo exo terra, 61cm 20w, i havent got the box to read about the other part

• calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

The bulb is a repti glo exo terra, 61cm 20w, i havent got the box to read about the other part
What were the supplements you were using? There should have been more then 1. There should have been a calcium without D3, calcium with D3, and a multivitamin. I need to know which ones and when he went off these? Can you take pics of them and tell me how often you used them please?

How long have you been feeding the insectigold? It is not meant to be the only thing used which is why I am asking. It is supposed to be used in addition to live feeders that are supplemented with the correct supplementation.

Reptiglo are T8 bulbs... So can you please look on the bulb. It should say on one end or the other the strength. would be either 2.0, 5.0 or 10.0.

Now then going over the history...
So light went out 4 weeks ago then you got the 2 in one bulb. Then you only used this a week or was it longer? Then the issues with eating and weakness started? You said you have had the new bulb in for 3 weeks. Is that correct or was it different then this?

I will do this tomorrow but can I just say as someone looking for support and advice your very ubrupt and seem judging rather then supportive along with the other poster

I will do this tomorrow but can I just say as someone looking for support and advice your very ubrupt and seem judging rather then supportive along with the other poster
Your telling us symptoms that are most commonly linked with a supplement issue and or UVB issue. Which is why I am digging for more info. No one here will just go off of a tiny bit of info and try to give you thorough feedback. This is how chams die because improper advice is given.
So I am asking for specifics and a time line on purpose to narrow it down.

You could also take him to a reptile vet with Chameleon experience for them to run bloodwork, xrays, and perform a thorough exam... Which I would recommend anyways. I was just trying to see if it was a matter of something we could help you correct or if it is something that urgently requires a vet.

If you feel that us trying to be specific with the information you give us is us being judging then I feel you need to take the emotion out of it and focus on the facts of the situation so we may better assist you.

I am here to help you narrow down the reasons for why your cham is shutting down in basic functions. The support comes later with feedback and information for how to get him better. Have a good night.

Last edited:

You need to stop using insectigold as the staple to his diet. Are there any places near you that sell hornworms, silkworms, or roaches? Maybe he will eat these since he’s not wanting to eat crickets

You know, I understand where you’re coming from but @Beman is just trying to help. Just remember this is a forum on the internet and you can’t hear the inclination of the voice.

@Dropdeadfred- How is his grip? Can you post more pictures ? In the picture you’ve already uploading he looks more curled up and I’d like to see more of his legs and feet.

Is the black coloring on the casque on one side or both?

Back
Top Bottom