5.0 or 12% Arcadia for my cage?

ebclark

Hello!

So right now I have a 18x18x36 cage for my 4 month old male veiled. Because I plan to upgrade to a larger cage within a few months, I have a 24” Reptisun Hood. This hood came with a 5.0 UVB light. Do you think this is good enough for this size cage?

I also bought an Arcadia 12% light for when I get the larger cage, but should I just start using this 12% right away even with the 18x18x36 cage?

Can you post a picture of your enclosure? It really just depends on how much foliage you have in the enclosure in the top 1/4-1/3. I'd say with him being in an 18x18x36 right now the 5.0 is fine.

I would go to the Arcadia 12% lamp, that’s the same lamp that I use. I have a Solar Meter and it’s really crazy how much the screen reduces the UVB! I recently posted some pics of my solar meter readings. You can always raise your fixture up off the screen to reduce the UVB reading. If you go with the smaller lamp you can’t get it any closer than sitting on top of your enclosure.

I did a 12% for the 18x18x36. I was getting a UVI of about a 3 at 7 inches down where I put my basking branch. I started with a 6% but when I got my solarmeter I was barely getting a 1 UVI at 7 inches down. Veileds should be in a 3-4 UVI range at the actual basking level. You will lose almost all UVB once you get 12 inches below the screen top. Again this is based on having a solarmeter to double check. The fixture, how, many bulbs, and even the cage brand can alter what the UVI level is that you get. I am using a quad fixture with a 12% Arcadia so my readings may be different depending on what you are using. I do have a lot of foliage as well starting right below basking level so he can get down out of it if he likes.

I would go to the Arcadia 12% lamp, that’s the same lamp that I use. I have a Solar Meter and it’s really crazy how much the screen reduces the UVB! I recently posted some pics of my solar meter readings. You can always raise your fixture up off the screen to reduce the UVB reading. If you go with the smaller lamp you can’t get it any closer than sitting on top of your enclosure.
Where did you post. I would love to compare to mine. :)

Thank you everyone! I'm sorry I'm not home and I don't have a current picture of my enclosure, but I'll put in the 12% Arcadia and just keep the other as a backup.

I did a 12% for the 18x18x36. I was getting a UVI of about a 3 at 7 inches down where I put my basking branch. I started with a 6% but when I got my solarmeter I was barely getting a 1 UVI at 7 inches down. Veileds should be in a 3-4 UVI range at the actual basking level. You will lose almost all UVB once you get 12 inches below the screen top. Again this is based on having a solarmeter to double check. The fixture, how, many bulbs, and even the cage brand can alter what the UVI level is that you get. I am using a quad fixture with a 12% Arcadia so my readings may be different depending on what you are using. I do have a lot of foliage as well starting right below basking level so he can get down out of it if he likes.
And remember percentages are only relative to bulbs the same size. The more output they put out effects the percent. You may have a bulb with 5% that puts out more uvb than the 12% because it’s more powerful.

And remember percentages are only relative to bulbs the same size. The more output they put out effects the percent. You may have a bulb with 5% that puts out more uvb than the 12% because it’s more powerful.
Wow your just digging up all sorts of old posts.

Wow your just digging up all sorts of old posts.
What? I was just trying to help educate someone who seems to be thinking the percentages are read across the board. Just because it’s an old message doesn’t mean a new owner won’t read them???

What? I was just trying to help educate someone who seems to be thinking the percentages are read across the board. Just because it’s an old message doesn’t mean a new owner won’t read them???
Oh ok so your trying to educate me then? Because you replied to my message.

Oh ok so your trying to educate me then? Because you replied to my message.
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize that your the only one reading threads on this site. And by your first post you seemed ill informed or misinformed. Sorry for trying to help people who may have the same problem rofl.

I was more thinking someone would read your thread and then also read mine just to add to it I wasn’t trying to correct you or say your wrong I didn’t realize it would be taken personal in that way.

I’m just new to the site man I wasn’t trying to be rude I just thought I was helping
Ok well by you saying this it is coming off rude
And by your first post you seemed ill informed or misinformed. Sorry for trying to help people who may have the same problem rofl.
So you are either talking about my posting in this thread or something else. Either way it came off rude.

Ok well by you saying this it is coming off rude

So you are either talking about my posting in this thread or something else. Either way it came off rude.
Yah I was rude you were right after you were rude to me for just trying to help and adding to your post. It’s a forum man everything isn’t a direct message to you Idk if you knew that??? But Your obviously easily Agitated I’ll just leave it at that take care.

Yah I was rude you were right after you were rude to me for just trying to help and adding to your post. It’s a forum man everything isn’t a direct message to you Idk if you knew that??? But Your obviously easily Agitated I’ll just leave it at that take care.
Regardless of you being rude to me. You are new so this will help. If you want to comment in the thread you go to the box type it in and hit reply. But if you want to comment directly to someone you click reply on their post in the thread type your message and then post reply. This way you will have a clear conversation with whomever you are meaning to connect with or you are just adding additional info to the thread. Have a nice evening.

Regardless of you being rude to me. You are new so this will help. If you want to comment in the thread you go to the box type it in and hit reply. But if you want to comment directly to someone you click reply on their post in the thread type your message and then post reply. This way you will have a clear conversation with whomever you are meaning to connect with or you are just adding additional info to the thread. Have a nice evening.
Appreciate it, and I appologize. I took you saying your bringing up old stuff as I shouldn’t say anything if it’s old. And so I was like wtf the what’s the point of a forum, I was just trying to say what you had posted it didn’t give the full picture so I was trying to add to that was all I didn’t realize I was sending you a message. But take care thanks for the information and I apologize for my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom