4 week old veiled chameleon not drinking

rassouljah

We got this little guy yesterday - We have seen him eat two crickets today, however despite several attempts using misters and drip methods -we have not witnessed him drink. Please provide any information as to ensure he does not dehydrate!

Baby chameleons pull a lot of moisture from the food they eat.
Veileds come from an area that ranges from 4-80 inches of rain a year.
In some areas the only opportunity they have to drink is first thing in the morning.
The ocean helps to blow in moisture for the morning due.
This is what helps make them such a hardy species.
I mist my veileds once a day for 30 seconds and they have a dripper going most of the day.
Some animals need a longer misting session to trigger a "drinking responce".
You could try misting him for a little longer.
He just moved into a new enclosure, so he might be a little stressed from the move.
How long are you misting for?
What type of mister are you using?
-good luck!

i know that for abotu 2 weeks after i got Karma i had to mist at least twice a day for at least 5 minutes at a time, to stimulate his drinking instinct. just make sure to let the enclosure dry out between misting!

i know that for abotu 2 weeks after i got Karma i had to mist at least twice a day for at least 5 minutes at a time, to stimulate his drinking instinct. just make sure to let the enclosure dry out between misting!

I have to do the same thing for my 4 month old male Veiled. For him there's nothing he hates more than being misted. I mist him twice a day for about 3 min, getting his cage nice and wet and he just runs all over the top of the cage dodging the droplets and giving me, go to hell looks, lol. Then about 30 min after everything dries out he calmly walks down into his Sheflerra and across the cage over to his dripper, hides in the leaves and drinks from the water coming off of the dripper. He will never drink when I'm watching him. I've only seen him drink once and that was 5 minutes after I got him 6 days ago. I put him in the cage and gave him his first mist and he licked a couple of the leaves but that was the most I've ever seen him drink. It frustrates me so what I do is make sure I mist him down really good, soak everything even if he doesn't drink it, then I leave him a lone. So he has the choice of either drinking after a mist or drinking from the dripper but as long as I leave him a lone he's doing one or the other cause his poops still look nice and white, so... You're little guys is too young to spray directly, I would avoid it because the droplets can harm their eyes. Just make sure you get his enclosure nice and wet and setup a few dripper systems in the cage that way as long as he sees moving water he'll eventually get thirsty and drink it. My guy is really stubborn so as long as I provide him the dripper he eventually drinks from it.

Back
Top Bottom