4 Month Old Panther Identification

Pals id

Hello,

I recently received a baby panther chameleon that is around 4 months old. I took a couple pictures while it was basing after a mist. It should be a male, but just wanted to confirm this by someone that has been doing this for a while since I am new and paid more to get a male. He has not yet started to color up, although at night when he is resting I do see some red and bluish green tints...but these colors are very subtle.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

Hmmm...I think you have a female there based on the tail base. Usually the males will have more of straight line from the vent and the females have that indent which I am seeing. I also see no bulge whatsoever that the males have, but not all have a visibile one at 4 months either. Sometimes it can be tricky though as I have a male that I swore for months and months was a female. Do you have any other pics of your chameleon in regular lighting to show the true color it is?

Ask and you shall receive. I know I went a little overboard with the pictures, but this should give a good idea of the colors he has managed so far and how the tail meets the body. It is so weird, he colors up outside his enclosure, but then goes back to shades of gray once I put him back. He must be trying to soak up all the heat and UV. It has been eating like a little piggy.

Here are the pics...male or female?

Thanks again

I change my opinion! I am glad you posted new pics! That is a male!!! Looking back at the first set of pics, there is the indent, but the tail is on the thicker side. Sorry I might have had you worried there for awhile!

I change my opinion! I am glad you posted new pics! That is a male!!! Looking back at the first set of pics, there is the indent, but the tail is on the thicker side. Sorry I might have had you worried there for awhile!

No problem, thanks for the reply. No matter how many pictures I have looked at, it is difficult for me to tell without a female here for a side by side comparison. So glad he is a boy!

Thank you

Most definitely a boy and I forgot to mention he has male coloring also! He looks to have an array of colors. Is he an Ambilobe do you know?? Pretty little fellow!

Most definitely a boy and I forgot to mention he has male coloring also! He looks to have an array of colors. Is he an Ambilobe do you know?? Pretty little fellow!

Thanks, yes he is an Ambilobe. I know he may or may not end up looking similar to the sire, but here is a picture of dad. This is the breeders picture and not my own.

Oh you got him from Chameleon Paradise? I would have trusted them with the sexing right from the start. The sire is simply gorgeous! One could only hope he could look like that or atleast similar. Sometimes breeders make mistakes in sexing, but it is rare and they pretty much can be sexed out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom