4-5 Week old Veiled Cham

Pcav666

Only had him 4 days, but I think he is dehydrated, I've only seen him drink twice and it was just a blob of water from a leaf

How can I make sure he is getting enough water?

I mist the shit out the viv twice a day so the leaves hold plenty and I also wet him a little too!

What makes you think he's dehydrated?
Chameleons don't often drink but stay hydratred because their skin can absorb moisture aswell.

Best is to have him on an automister so you can't forget to mist him.

I've just never seen him drink more than a water drop and I spy on him alot. Also a tiny bit of orange in his poo

Chameleons are very efficient in their use of water, you won’t see them drinking a lot all the time until they are in their twilight years. Mostly white urates and eyes that aren’t sunken means he’s ok...

As mentioned above invest in a mistking, worth every penny!

I've just never seen him drink more than a water drop and I spy on him alot. Also a tiny bit of orange in his poo
where the brown meets the white, it is often orange. Nothing to worry about. You will seldom see most chams drink and when they do, its just a drop here and a drop there.

A small bit of orange on one end of the urate, and even an occasional tint of orange isn't the end of the world. Actually it is quite normal. I think they do it just to make us worry :). My veiled would never drink when he was younger (not that I ever saw) but as @Brodybreaux25 stated, he would definitely enjoy it when he was older and likely needed the extra fluids.

Also, you have only had him 4 days. It will take him some time to be comfortable in his new surroundings. He may start drinking more then.

My Cham took almost a week before he would even start to really eat well. I have only seen him drink ince since I have owned him but he gets misted plenty .I also feed horns occasion just to make sure he gets some fluids. This is probably why he doesn't drink but that's ok. He also eats the pothos plant a lot which has a lot of water.

You could try the horns to see if it helps but be careful to only give a couple a week because it can cause other issues if he eats too many.

Back
Top Bottom