36x18x36 vs 24x24x48

ajs

Avid Member
I am debating on these two cage sizes to upgrade from my 18x18x36 for my ~6 month old panther.

Are there advantages or disadvantages of one vs the other?

As of now I think I have a slight preference for the 36x18x36. I feel like my cham would utilize more of a wider cage vs taller, but I could be misinterpreting his behavior (and I work 9-5 so I dont get to see him much on weekdays)

I don't have an opinion—just an observation (if it isn't a "DUH").
Please pardon my thinking aloud; sometimes it helps me to define & solve problems.

The 24 x 24 is 4 sq. ft., while the 18 x 36 is 4.5 sq. ft.

Volume = 16 cu ft. vs. 13.5 cu ft. (respectively)

That wasn't much help, was it (I thinks to meself... :unsure:)?

Do you think your growing boy would make use of additional vertical space?

Reactions: ajs
I don't have an opinion—just an observation (if it isn't a "DUH").
Please pardon my thinking aloud; sometimes it helps me to define & solve problems.

The 24 x 24 is 4 sq. ft., while the 18 x 36 is 4.5 sq. ft.

Volume = 16 cu ft. vs. 13.5 cu ft. (respectively)

That wasn't much help, was it (I thinks to meself... :unsure:)?

Do you think your growing boy would make use of additional vertical space?
Hmm, yeah it's hard to say. I tried to think about these volumes while removing the bottom 3rd height of the cages (since they are usually pretty bare except for bioactive) and the 2x2x4 still had a larger volume (10.6 cu ft vs 9 cu ft).

This is a tough decision, especially considering the additional purchases I would have to make and additional work:

With 36x18x36:
  • I would have to buy a new fixture for uvb + daylight
  • build an extension to the shelf I made for my current cage (a 2x2x4 would fit on the current shelf)
  • I could reuse the dragon ledges that I currently have
FOr 2x2x4
  • I would need to buy new dragon ledges or a dragon strand full build with the attachments
  • The fixture I have is 24" so I could keep that
  • The shelf I have would fit so I could keep that as well
It seems like the 2x2x4 sounds like the logical choice now that i have written out the pros and cons. Although the dragon ledges or full dragon strand build can be pricey.

Has anyone used both sized cages in the past?

Another vote for the
36x18x36

More walking around area, its litterally 1x cham+tail by 2x cham+tail. And any cage over 2ft tall is fine, your cage could be 10ft tall, and the little bugger will still only hang out on 1 2ft level they like.

Yeah I would go with the wider one, for some reason chams explore horizontally more often than vertically aside from laying imo

Have you considered a custom DIY build? I would caution it may not save you any money (if my last build is any indicator) but you should be able to get exactly what you want, and may be able to make use of some of the stuff you have. Maybe 36" x 18" x 48"H or even 36" x 24" x whateverH...

I think the 18 depth is the only drawback but after having my Chameleon bin a 2*2*4 set up for over a year I feel a 36 wide by 24 deep would be such a good build size.
Yeah that sounds like a pretty great option. Maybe I'll look into doing a DIY 36x24x36. Might be able to build in some dragon ledge like structures into the frame to save some money too

Yeah that sounds like a pretty great option. Maybe I'll look into doing a DIY 36x24x36. Might be able to build in some dragon ledge like structures into the frame to save some money too

That's my plan for a 30 x 30 (approx., depending on the washing machine pan I use for the floor).
I'm tentatively planning on using these for the corner uprights.
9030_photo.png

Window screen frames should slide right into them, and aluminum bar stock can be screwed into the flanges to serve as ledges.

That's my plan for a 30 x 30 (approx., depending on the washing machine pan I use for the floor).
I'm tentatively planning on using these for the corner uprights.
9030_photo.png

Window screen frames should slide right into them, and aluminum bar stock can be screwed into the flanges to serve as ledges.

Where did you find this ? I think it might be just what I am looking for.

Adding:

I have been seeing these corners, and I think they would work great.
corner.jpg

Last edited:
Wider, the UVB you have is fine. You can if desired later upgrade to a 36 inch UVB, but the 24 inch is plenty for now even on the 36 inch cage. As long as 2/3s of the cage has UVB that seems to be the recommendation on Reptile Lighting.

Also while not having experience with the screen cages, Exo Terra makes the best Glass Vivs IMO, and I have heard that the Exo Terra Screens are the best commercial screen cage and they are miles ahead of Reptibreeze. So there is that. (assuming you are comparing the 24x24x48 Reptibreeze vs the Exoterra 36x18x36)

This gives me sooo many ideas. This is what I have been looking for exactly, I knew it existed, but could not find it. Thank You
Then you're obviously not into open-source 3D printing. :LOL:

The stuff on that site has been called "adult tinker toys" for good reason!
After you've poked around, your brain is going to go into overdrive thinking & dreaming about the possibilities. (Voice of experience ;))

Keep track of every piece you'll need—it adds up QUICK! :ROFLMAO:

Then you're obviously not into open-source 3D printing. :LOL:

The stuff on that site has been called "adult tinker toys" for good reason!
After you've poked around, your brain is going to go into overdrive thinking & dreaming about the possibilities. (Voice of experience ;))

Keep track of every piece you'll need—it adds up QUICK! :ROFLMAO:

Oh already there.
I plan to make custom setups to offer for sale at our local reptile shows, so I do keep track of price. These would be more than screen cages, full bio. But that is a small part of sales.
The other side I am looking at is a proper starter set up offed with a baby cham, I have 20 hatching in a month of so.
The idea is to offer them in a smaller cage suitable for a 5-6 month old veiled for a month or so. This would give new owners the time to worry about the adult set up.
This "kit" would in addition to small housing, include a plastic bin with a plant , to stress their importance. and bio-active soil, already cultured with isopods and spring tails. It will include the 3 types of vitamins as well as a "Care guide" that will be submitted to this group for approval.

I am not a retailer so I can't carry lights, but I was thinking of offering a discount if people show they purchased lights at the show.

Sorry to ramble, I am still feeling out this idea. lol

As for 3D printing, I have two friends with printers, So I do look at those options.

As for 3D printing, I have two friends with printers, So I do look at those options.
No disrespect intended. 80/20 Inc. is a well-known supplier to DIYers in that hobby, more for their T-slot products than these Quick Frames. This kind of stuff.

Sorry to ramble, I am still feeling out this idea. lol
See? Toldya you'd be thinking about the possibilities... ☺
BT-DT, and am again with this project.

You hatching panthers, or just veileds?

No disrespect intended. 80/20 Inc. is a well-known supplier to DIYers in that hobby, more for their T-slot products than these Quick Frames. This kind of stuff.

See? Toldya you'd be thinking about the possibilities... ☺
BT-DT, and am again with this project.

You hatching panthers, or just veileds?

Just Veiled. That’s why included. They are a great starter Cham, and I would rather see people put their money into the items for care. Not looking for any profit, just enough to feed my hobby.

Back
Top Bottom