3 year old panther chameleon with something wrong

murph04032

My chameleon"Midas"I found yesterday morning hanging from one rear foot near the bottom of his cage.I picked him up and put him up near his basking area in a plant.He has not moved since and his eyes have been closed most of the time.Thought maybe he was dehydrated,so have his misting durations longer.Yesterday he was drinking,but today very little activity at all.

Midas is a 3 year old ambilobe panther chameleon that I have had since he was 3 monthes old and purchased him from chameleonparadise.I hardly ever handle him because he doesn't like it.He always acts like he is going to bite me if I get near him,with his mouth wide open.I feed him about 6 large crickets a day,thats all he would ever eat.I gutload with carrots and cricket food.I dust crickets with alternating schedule of calcium,repashy,heptivite,calcium+vit.d,and miner-all.He has mist king auto misting 8 times a day for 4 minutes each time with pre warmed reverse osmosis water.His fecals look normal,dark brown and white.He has never been to a vet and don't think I should bring him because of the stress level I think would be to great.He has always looked very healthy and very active till now.His cage I built into the corner of my living room that is 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall,it has a drain in the floor and all screen front and top.His lighting is fluorescents with 5 % uvb and a plant bulb.2 60 watt basking bulbs and a 100 watt mercury vapor uvb lamp.Have digital temp and humidity gauges that range from 65 degrees at night to low 80's in basking area during the day.Humidity levels range from 50 to 80.Have lots of vines and plants,some fake and some real.A hibiscus tree and pothos plants.Cage in corner of living room very low traffic area,top of cage is over 6 feet from floor.I live in Maine.Like I said previouslyI found him yesterday morning hanging from one foot near the bottom of his cage.Picked him up and moved him to a plant near his basking area,with any fuss at all from him which is unheard of for him.Humidity level was down some so gave him a 10 minute mist and he was drinking.Today he has not moved and opened his eyes only when I go in and touch him.Have not seen him drink or eat today.And do not think he ate yesterday.Would appreciate any advise.Thanks

CIMG0702.JPG
CIMG0703.JPG
CIMG0703.JPG
CIMG0703.JPG

Attachments

• CIMG0704.JPG
    CIMG0704.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 90
My Midas died from I wish I new of what.He was a very healthy and active chameleon up till last Wednesday.Was really hoping for some help from someone on this forum.The only reply I received requested information,that I posted.I think its real sad that nobody even tried to help me and my buddy Midas.The vets in my area where not much help either.By the time they could see him he had past away.I would like to get another panther at some point but I want to figure out what went wrong and what my Midas died of.I don't want to make the same mistake.Thanks for nothing everyone!

I'm sorry for your loss but I think it's wrong placing blame on us for not responding, there's a lot of topics popping up here daily and most of us don't read all of em or just don't reply because they can't be if help.

If you want to know what he died of let the vet do a necropsy and see if that gives any answers.

Sorry man. My chameleon is from Bruce too. This was a good example of people biting there tongue when they don't know the answer. You've got to remember, there are only a couple members here that are good sources of health info. I only get to check these posts once or twice a week usually myself, so I understand how some of the more experienced keepers missed it. I recommend an autopsy before another chameleon. Try and figure out what happened, you can use that info to prevent it from happening to you again, and you can be a source of information for someone else maybe.

i'm sorry your chameleon passed away. i'm sure that in under a week there would have been nothing anyone could have said that would bring him back to health. you shouldn't be such a poor sport toward the community because we didn't sit here and talk you through your ordeal. chameleons go at a whim sometimes, he could have had something serious going on with him that you weren't looking for or paying attention to that could have turned him around months ago, or maybe not. when you flame the community for not responding to you after your cham dies it looks like your blaming us for it and it will make people less likely to want to help out in the future. just my 2 cents, grow up.

So sorry for your loss. Three isn't very old.

Sometimes there is no easily seen answer as to what's wrong with a chameleon. They hide their illnesses and we often don't figure it out soon enough. Most of us on here are not vets we are just people who love chameleons and have various amounts of experience with them.
We all have other obligations...work...family...can't be on here all the time....can miss some posts...etc.

We ask the questions to help us figure out what's going on but if we don't see anything that jumps out at us it's hard to know what's going on with the chameleon.

I definitely see that his eye looks a bit puffy...but I have no idea why. There can be lots of reasons for that.
I know that often when they hang by one foot there can be something wrong....but sometimes they are so soundly asleep that it can happen for no reason.
I suppose I could have said all of this but would it have kept your chameleon from dying?

Again...sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. Too many vitamians, unsafe plants and a strict diet of crickets could've been it. Over time it can be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom