3 new chameleon species!

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would post a note about three new species that were described this week: Kinyongia itombwensis, K. rugegensis and K. tolleyae. These species were described during a reassessment of the Kinyongia adolfifriderici group and were described from the Itombwe Plateau of the DRC, the Rugege Highlands of Burundi (and likely Rwanda), and the Kigezi Highlands of Uganda, respectively. With these species, there are now 206 recognized species of chameleon!

Here is the citation for the article, and a link to it:

Best,

Chris

Great news thanks for posting! Have you got more information and pictures about these new species?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There are photos of each species in the paper (as well as a lot more info on each), but don't have any otherwise. There are a couple ways to get these types of articles if you don't have access because of a paywall. The first (and legal) way is to contact one of the authors for a copy. Every scientific article has a corresponding author and usually their email address is listed (although I'm not seeing an email address listed on the journal page in this case). Authors are usually happy to send a copy when you contact them. The second option is that there are pirating sites for scientific pubs (i.e., http://sci-hub.cc ) where you can enter the DOI listed for the article in the search string and often it will come up that way ( ;) ).

Chris

There are photos of each species in the paper (as well as a lot more info on each), but don't have any otherwise. There are a couple ways to get these types of articles if you don't have access because of a paywall. The first (and legal) way is to contact one of the authors for a copy. Every scientific article has a corresponding author and usually their email address is listed (although I'm not seeing an email address listed on the journal page in this case). Authors are usually happy to send a copy when you contact them. The second option is that there are pirating sites for scientific pubs (i.e., http://sci-hub.cc ) where you can enter the DOI listed for the article in the search string and often it will come up that way ( ;) ).

Chris

Chris

Thanks for the links and the abstract with the DOI. I have got a color paperback copy for my collection.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I got the opportunity to read this study on Sunday night and this study is a good read. This is a good study about chameleon species from the genus (for the most part) Kinyongia that live in the Albertine Rift area of central Africa. Though this study is mostly about the division of Kinyongia adolfifriderici. This study goes as far to venture to talk about Kinyongia from the Usambara clade. If you like reading nonfiction this is a good read.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom