~3 mo. old veiled has been shedding since Saturday, is this bad???

mightyevil

So little Pascal started shedding on Saturday or Sunday, it is now Friday and he still has a large piece of dried skin on his body and small bits on his eyes and nostrils. After a few days I thought it was normal but now I am worried. I mist him about every hour when I am around. I go to school all afternoon so he goes about 6.5 hours a day without misting. He had been eating very well, about 10-15 crickets a day large and small (mostly large) but he only ate about half today. Any advise?

Here is a picture of him today. His body on the other side is completely clean...

Attachments

• 2013-08-29 20.58.46.jpg
    2013-08-29 20.58.46.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 174
I mist for about 20 seconds and I make sure everything is soaked and I do this about every hour or less. Maybe about 8 times a day since I go to school for a large part of the day.

I don't understand, wouldn't most of that water just fall to the bottom and soak everything around the cage? In other words most of the water will end up outside of the cage anyway...

I guess I can stand there and mist him for a few minutes but I don't think he likes it, he always runs away from the water. I am going to need to think of strategy to prevent the water from getting all over the place...or the wife is gonna be mad!!!

I also need a good misting system, so far I hear the MistKing is best but it is so expensive, any alternatives out there?

Some people use a reptifogger which will up the humidity in the cage while you're gone. Here in Canada they're about $50 - $70.

Water is something every cham owner has to put up with. I don't have a drainage system, I just use a couple catch containers that get most of the water.

I see, well, I think I saw that the cheapest MistKing is about $100. So, I might as well bite the bullet and get the best... I am all about the best for my pets. My Arcadia lights should be getting here today, I'm excited!!!

He has been eating a lot, but Michael from FL Chams said he was about 2 months when I got it from him at the reptile show on 8/11. So, he should be about 3 months. I tried reaching out to him via e-mail but never got an answer back, kinda sucks that he doesn't provide troubleshooting/customer service after purchase. I wish I would have known that before...no sale!

The picture on my avatar was taken on 8/15 (14 days ago), nice growth difference.

So, should I be concerned about the part where the dead skin is not coming off? I mean there are small parts around the eyes and nostrils that I am concerned about...Am I just being paranoid?

Don't worry ALL chameleons shed at very different rates.
As long as your husbandry is on spot then its just how they shed.
My veiled has always been a strange shedder- when he sheds around his head I take a wet q tip and gently rub which he actually seems to like. But mind you I also have a very oddly friendly veiled. Yours may be angered by this!

Yeah, because I just tried getting close to him and he hissed at me, first time that happens too. I would try the q-tip but he seems upset now so I will wait. Thanks!

bacteria

You want the dead skin off. bacteria can grow in between the dead skin and your cham, which is NOT good. when you mist try and hit that spot specificly. bad sheds can come from too low humidity. You can lightly try to brush it off with your fingers but don't pull. you never want to peel off what isn't ready. it happens to all of us.

You want the dead skin off. bacteria can grow in between the dead skin and your cham, which is NOT good. when you mist try and hit that spot specificly. bad sheds can come from too low humidity. You can lightly try to brush it off with your fingers but don't pull. you never want to peel off what isn't ready. it happens to all of us.

Okay, great that makes a lot of sense to me for some reason. I will be home all day the next three days so misting him will not be a problem. Let's hope I can help him shed the rest of it off. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom