3 horned chameleon thread!

biffle

Avid Member
Three horn fans!

It took me by surprise when I read that a "Jacksons Chameleon" is not a Trioceros.jacksonii xantholophus. It seems that we have collectively switched the common name of the jacksonii jacksonii with the xantholophus.

To help us all reset....
Here is a list of all the three horned chameleons that I could find. Please help by posting a picture(s) of any outstanding examples that you have.

T.jacksonii jacksonii (Boulenger, 1896): Jackson’s Three-horned Chameleon
T.jacksonii merumontanus (Rand, 1958): Mount Meru Three-horned Chameleon
T.jacksonii xantholophus (Eason, Ferguson & Hebrard, 1988): Mt. Kenya Three-horned Chameleon
T.johnstoni (Boulenger, 1901): Johnston’s Three-horned Chameleon
T.werneri (Tornier, 1899): Werner’s Three-horned Chameleon
T.deremensis (Matschie, 1892): Usambara Giant Three-horned Chameleon
T.fuelleborni (Tornier, 1900): Poroto Three-horned Chameleon
T.oweni (Gray, 1831): Owen’s Three-horned Chameleon

Thanks!

~Jason

This is what I thought was a Jackson's chameleon. It's a trioceros jacksonii xantholophus common name is Mt kenya 3 horned chameleon.

e4fbbfea1f07a0c889580ed1bc7e680b.jpg

This is a true male Jackson's Chameleon, Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii

9009f4016c7903b0da486de0677d015d.jpg

This is a Johnston ' s Chameleon, Trioceros johnstoni from the Bwindi local.
1187bf3be41eedbde6905f5fae195267.jpg

T. deremensis, aka the Usambara Three-Horned Giant...I've been working almost exclusively with these guys for sometime now.

-Nicole

Attachments

• TRH_7828.jpg
    TRH_7828.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 354
Biffle, you baffle me on your attention to detail…good job.:D

I was not aware that Jacksonii jacksonii displayed so much yellow. i always pictured Mt Meru, Jacksonii merumontanus possessing the high yellows.

Which countries in Africa are exporting which subspecies to the US presently?

What species are in Hawaii?

Nick

Nick

Kenya exports "farm raised" jacksonii jacksonii and jacksonii xantholophus
Tanzania exports jacksonii merumontanus

The jacksonii from Hawaii are jacksonii xantholophus.

Carl

Biffle, you baffle me on your attention to detail…good job.:D

I was not aware that Jacksonii jacksonii displayed so much yellow. i always pictured Mt Meru, Jacksonii merumontanus possessing the high yellows.

Nick
Thanks! It amazes me that with all of the hours that I've spent reading, how wrong I was on this topic.

Kent did a great write up on this topic a few years back that I missed most likely because of a pardalis bias.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Hello!

Common names are nothing but smoke and mirrors anyway.
So here, in the middle of the Austrian Alps, a specimen of Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus is usually called "Sepp", whereas in Germany their common name is usually "Kevin"... ;)
Joking apart, knowing the exact location (as far as possible but most important) and "eventually"* the zoological name of our animals would be more than enough.

With the best regards,
Emanuel

*"eventually" as taxonomical sytems come and go...
I'm remembering someone, who once taught me in my earlier years, "The actual Botanical Name? Leave me alone with that! It's most important to know the ("true") origin of your plants... everything else is only important, if you like to aquire a reputation as a Taxonomist someday!"
And - observing all the taxonomical confusion this days - it happens more and more often, that I (really!) appreciate this clear words...

One of my friends has a group of them. But if you want a reference point Fl Chams sells them too. Check out there web site.

Jacksonii jacksonii are Mt Kenya Jackson's.

jacksonii xantholophus is only found on the slopes of Mt. Kenya so it has earned the name Mt. Kenya jacksons.

jacksonii jacksonii has a wider range in Kenya which is west and also to the south.

Carl

Carl, I'm not saying that jacksonii xantholophus are not found on Mt. Kenya but I am saying that jacksonii jacksonii common name is Mt.kenya Jackson's. And jacksonii xantholophus are sometimes referred to as a yellow crested Jackson's or there more commonly known as a common Jackson's chameleon. I am curious where your getting your information.

Every reputable publication lists Mt. Kenyans as j. xantholophus. The first that comes to mind is Chameleons of Africa an Atlas by Colin Tilbury.

This is the perfect reason common names should not be used. Putting the effort into learning the species proper name causes less confusion and in my opinion shows respect for the animal.

Carl

Now that I'm really looking into Jackson's atleast for the past half hour or so there is a lot of conflicting references on the internet. One site says one thing and the next says the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom