2x2x4 Necessary for Adult Male?

jshaffer740

I am currently in the process of planning for Abe's "Adult" enclosure. He is currently in an 18" x 18" x 36" enclosure. I've always read that 2' x 2' x 4' is the minimum size for adult male veileds, so that is what I was planning on making or purchasing. As I was doing so, I realized that the vanity that I will be using for drainage, is only 24.5" by 18.5". So if I were to make or purchase a larger enclosure, it would have to be more like 24" x 18" x 48".

Because of this, I decided I would ask the question regarding the common guidance of 2x2x4 for adult males. Is this truly the minimum? Or would 24" x 18" x 48" be okay? Or even his current 18" x 18" x 36"?

Any thoughts that anyone has would be great!

Thanks,
Jason

Main thing is the 48". The 18 by 24 bottom will be find as long as you dont get a jumbo veiled. I dont know why but lately i have been seeing alot of 400+ gram 2ft veileds. In comparison a kinda beefy male panther is 250grams.

Then again you wont have parson's problems

me-with-big-chameleon.jpg

Main thing is the 48". The 18 by 24 bottom will be find as long as you dont get a jumbo veiled. I dont know why but lately i have been seeing alot of 400+ gram 2ft veileds. In comparison a kinda beefy male panther is 250grams.

Haha wow! That is a big cham. Yeah, I figured the height was probably the more important factor. Thanks for the response.

Sort of off topic, but do you know if a place like DIY cages will do custom sized orders?

I know that 2x2x4 is usually the largest cage most of the mainstream stores carry. I have a 10 mo old panther who is pretty large. He likes to move around a lot and personally I feel like the 4 foot height is fine, it is the 2 foot of horizontal space. In my humble opinion I believe a large male chameleon needs a larger area. With that said it is hard to provide so much space. In order to allow this space, I offer lots of free range time.

I know that 2x2x4 is usually the largest cage most of the mainstream stores carry. I have a 10 mo old panther who is pretty large. He likes to move around a lot and personally I feel like the 4 foot height is fine, it is the 2 foot of horizontal space. In my humble opinion I believe a large male chameleon needs a larger area. With that said it is hard to provide so much space. In order to allow this space, I offer lots of free range time.

I completely agree with you and give all my chams larger cages than the 2x2x4. That extra width gives more plant room and helps the chams stay active (other than basically up or down).

I completely agree with you and give all my chams larger cages than the 2x2x4. That extra width gives more plant room and helps the chams stay active (other than basically up or down).

I wish I could do that...unfortunately I do not have the space :(

I am currently in the process of planning for Abe's "Adult" enclosure. He is currently in an 18" x 18" x 36" enclosure. I've always read that 2' x 2' x 4' is the minimum size for adult male veileds, so that is what I was planning on making or purchasing. As I was doing so, I realized that the vanity that I will be using for drainage, is only 24.5" by 18.5". So if I were to make or purchase a larger enclosure, it would have to be more like 24" x 18" x 48".

Because of this, I decided I would ask the question regarding the common guidance of 2x2x4 for adult males. Is this truly the minimum? Or would 24" x 18" x 48" be okay? Or even his current 18" x 18" x 36"?

Thanks,
Jason

Can you enlarge the top of your vanity with a larger board laid on top? That 18" on any dimension is very limiting!

Thanks,
Jason

Def, theres not really an easy way out of keeping an adult male cham in a smaller cage. Especially with Veileds, those things get pretty big. I was curious about the same question not too long ago because my 2x2x4' cage is a monster and took up half my room lol.

Going from the 18x18x36 to the 2x2x4 is a huge difference. I actually have my old 18x18x36 inside my 2x2x4 cage. Your cham will love it. once you put him in an adult cage you'll know his old cage was way too small for him.

That Parson's is HUGE lol...wow.

Can you enlarge the top of your vanity with a larger board laid on top? That 18" on any dimension is very limiting!

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, but that's definitely a possibility. I would just need to cut an opening in the center for drainage. I would like to find a fairly thin type of board for aesthetic reasons, but I'm sure it's doable. I'll look into that. Thanks!

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, but that's definitely a possibility. I would just need to cut an opening in the center for drainage. I would like to find a fairly thin type of board for aesthetic reasons, but I'm sure it's doable. I'll look into that. Thanks!

I assume you want to use the sink depression in the vanity for drainage? You could get a piece of nice looking masonry board (melamine or whatever is water sealed), center it over the sink and cut out the same depression. The larger dimensions of the board could give you more options in terms of overall cage space.

That's awesome - thanks. Question: it looks like the front is mounted flush with the vanity, so do you have the extra 5.75" all going towards the back?

Yes, it deffo hangs off of the back. The plywood is glued and nailed into the base.

Yes, it deffo hangs off of the back. The plywood is glued and nailed into the base.

Okay thanks. So, the way my drainage is set up, I would like to keep the sink top as well. I wonder how I would secure the wood/Masonite panel to the sink top? Adhesive of some sort?

I'm wondering what sort of adhesive would work to affix the top to the smooth, marble-like surface of the vanity? I would want it to sit flush, without space in between the two surfaces. Any really handy people who could chime in? :D

Construction adhesives available a many hardware stores will work. Confirm with packaging adhesive to non-porous masonary(ceramic) . eg. PL premium I would put strips of something,(eg. plywood) around outside of vanity for support.

Back
Top Bottom