20 year hiatus.

NickTide

Avid Member
I haven't had chams in 20 years. I once had a pair of veils (their babies hatched but lived only a few weeks) and a jackson (free to good home) that I rehabed after she lost part of her tail and was very skinny.

Things have changed a good bit in 20 years. The internet was new and there were few good sources for merchandise. I built my own cages and I would order a box of crickets from the local store and supplement with super worms. Oh yeah, and the pair was kept together. I know, but it was often done that way with veilds.

Here is my plan for a pair of veilds...

I am making cylindrical wire cages from 1/4 " mesh. A 36" diameter for the male and a 24" (or is 36" reccomended?) for the female. Both cages 36" tall. Is 1/4" mesh still considered to be ok? Everyone seems to have the screen type now. Also, I am just now getting familiar with blue bottle flies. Is 1/4" too big to contain them?

For food, I have a culture of dubias that is well established. I was hoping to use bottle flies. I rely like the idea of leaving larvae in the cup to hatch out and giving the chams food all the time. I will likely get super worms and horn worms from time to time as a treat. I want to avoid crickets. I fed romaine to my veilds but I think that was about the only veggie. Didn't know what else to feed them.

I will also make or buy a misting system... I don't want to have to get a pet sitter every time I'm gone all day.

Lets see here, about 25 years ago, we didnt know veileds ate veggies, they cost more than parsons, and we didnt know they bred like rabbits and at least one zoo spent close to 2 grand for a pair :)

Lets see here, about 25 years ago, we didnt know veileds ate veggies, they cost more than parsons, and we didnt know they bred like rabbits and at least one zoo spent close to 2 grand for a pair :)

Seriously? I didn't know that. They came down quite a bit in a few years then. I think babies were like $80 - $100 by the time I got mine.

And Jackson's were cheap... like $40 for adults but mostly wilds out of Hawaii.

I do love Jackson's but they apparently can't take as much of the temp swings and I like to keep them outside in the summer. I'm in Maryland were we hit 102 once in a while so they will come inside on the 95+ degree days. I'm not sure if 95 degrees for a short period is considered ok, but they do live ferel in Florida.

I'd like to find them for $10. Around here I could wholesale them for more than that.
look at Facebook Groups for whole sale in that case. I doubt you can sell them for any significant amount over than 10 bucks. the market is overcrowded with them. only beginners get them now Days and they very often try to get rid of them Before the 1 year mark to make room for their next chameleon. I maybe bias now but I would go with trioceros than veiled if you are planing in Selling and breeding.

Havnt used the facebook feature yet. They were like $25 on the wholesalers list (I occasionally work at a pet shop) but they are probably buying them for $10 plus shipping. I looked into Jacksons but they don't take the temp swings as well.

Havnt used the facebook feature yet. They were like $25 on the wholesalers list (I occasionally work at a pet shop) but they are probably buying them for $10 plus shipping. I looked into Jacksons but they don't take the temp swings as well.
yeah. in Florida you can Catch veileds for free (the have been released and now are an invading species). what´s the temperatures where you live btw?

yeah. in Florida you can Catch veileds for free (the have been released and now are an invading species). what´s the temperatures where you live btw?

I tried to look for them on facebook but haven't figured it out yet. Will play later.
I'm in Maryland. Highs above 100 and lows below 0. This week we have been in the 80s. There is supposed to be 3 kinds of lizards here but I've only scene 1 and they are in pockets so seldom scene.

I tried to look for them on facebook but haven't figured it out yet. Will play later.
I'm in Maryland. Highs above 100 and lows below 0. This week we have been in the 80s. There is supposed to be 3 kinds of lizards here but I've only scene 1 and they are in pockets so seldom scene.
aaah that´s tough on trioceros. I get know why you wanna get a Yemen, they can handle higher and lower temperaturs. you don´t happen to have an AC right? Panthers are 2 over bred after Yemens but they should too manage some higher temps. they do not handle lower temperatures what I know of. what ever you choose I wish you good luck. and post some pics of it if you would

aaah that´s tough on trioceros. I get know why you wanna get a Yemen, they can handle higher and lower temperaturs. you don´t happen to have an AC right? Panthers are 2 over bred after Yemens but they should too manage some higher temps. they do not handle lower temperatures what I know of. what ever you choose I wish you good luck. and post some pics of it if you would

I have AC but I still want to have them outside in the summer. I will likely get Jackson's next. They are my favorite.... I just don't want to mess this up. I'm going to find some pics of my old chams.

Back
Top Bottom