20 Gallon pygmy chameleon vivarium

BoydR

My background is actually in dart frog and tree frog breeding so this whole world of chameleons is fairly new. My favorite aspect of raising small frogs is the vivarium building that goes with it. I LOVE building tropical tanks so pygmy chameleons seemed like the perfect first step into the chameleon world. Eventually I'll do a semi-free range setup for a new panther, but until then I want to learn more about these guys in general. It was fun to build something different, for something completely different from what I've raised in the past. Being fairly new to the chameleon side of things, I'd love some feedback.

My idea here was to fit a pair of these guys into a 20 gallon vertical tank that would fit onto my classroom frog rack (I teach Science). The first challenge was cutting out some fresh acrylic parts for the vertical conversion from a normal, 20 gallon tall aquarium. I typically just buy conversion kits but this time I misplaced some parts I had acquired so I just had to make do with what I could cut out from scraps at home. The tank maintains good humidity but has fairly good air circulation from a small screen panel toward the top. Additional circulation actually comes from an internal 2" computer fan on a timer.

My idea was to paint the outside of the tank black to create a dark mirror effect from the inside. That creates an illusion of endless forest on the walls and background of the vivarium. Unfortunately, that part doesn't show up in my bad cell phone pictures. The other aspect of this idea was to use the dark background to contrast the bright greens of the plants and moss. The soil is the ABG mix I use for dart frogs with a hefty load of springtails to act as snacks and janitors. I used clay balls for a drainage layer, live moss and lichens with epiphytic plants... The chameleons seem extremely happy and the female. I'm trying to create the illusion of dense forest so the chameleons feel comfortable while maintaining a fairly open tank so I can easily find them in the tank. It will definitely grow in and become more dense over time though. It's also fairly wet in their since I just misted before I took the photos. What do you guys think?

the highways in place.

Basic planting done.

It looks good! Do you have enough small branches/twigs near the bottom for them? It looks a little sparse, but it might just be the pictures. Do they use the whole vertical space? I've never had brevs that went all that high up in a cage, usually just 12" and below, even if they had more room. Every once in a while one might wander up to 15" and then right back down again. Then again, I've never had a viv this nice either!

Thanks guys! They are actually using every inch of the tank. The female is only 2 or 3 inches from the top right now, but when she gets hungry she hangs upside down on the lowest branch and just eats the crickets and fruit flies crawling in the leaf litter. But you've got a good point about sticks and twigs on the ground. There are some, definitely more than what shows up in the photos, but your probably right that they need more. That may be why the female stays on the limbs and eats upside down. I'll add more along the forest floor today and see if anything changes. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for... thanks!

Boyd

Here's an update photo of the ground and some better tank shots... still phone photos so not doing it justice.

The moss is actually a variety of different types. I use sheet moss, irish moss, spike moss, pillow moss, java moss, and even a little reindeer moss (which is actually a slow growing lichen) depending on the position, lighting, and moisture of any given spot in the terrarium. A lot of times, you can actually just hot glue many mosses and tillandsia into place and they just grow from there. The secret to growing good moss is that moss actually needs more light than you think. It grows in the shade outside, but in a vivarium LED lighting above 5000K will work perfect. It's highly subject to light burn so that's why I use LED lighting (like many reef aquariums). It also needs to be wet periodically from misting and then have time to completely dry out. The reindeer moss (really a lichen) is much easier, but many times it is died to look more green. The dies are usually perfectly safe, but if you're misting it a lot it'll fade and may even leach a bit into your tank. So I only use it for accents in places where I probably won't be misting much. I've had the most success with green tree moss/sheet moss. As long as the moisture and lighting are right, it greens right up and propagates great.

Looks great! What kind of fern is that? I'm trying to fill a space in my currently vacant viv and I'm wanting to use a rabbits foot fern but all I could get was An asparagus fern.

thanks! The twigs definitely helped the male. The female still hangs upside down and looks like a leaf. Its really fun to watch.

The fern is a Pleopeltis polypodioides (resurrection fern)... its a small epiphytic species that does well with frequent misting. I love it because it stays small and does great in vivariums.

Well that just adds to her character! I bet it's funny to watch. I've never had one do that :)

Love the habitat!
I could also only find an asparagus fern for my pygmy habitat, but the little ones seem like it so no complaints here.

They occasionally climb over it, but never actually hang on it.

One thing I have noticed is that both the male and the female like to get up directly under the light. It's an LED and separated by glass so not a heat/burn concern, but pretty to see. They have been basking for about an hour or two during the day. Then they climb down to the low places and hide while they hunt or rest from the movement in my classroom.

I seeded the tank with a heavy load of temperate springtails too so it stays perfectly clean. Takes about a day for a pile of feces to completely disappear and the springtails are too small for the chameleons to think about eating... they reproduce in the tank and just act as janitors, keeping the place pristine and clean. I'll have to snap a photo of them in action... it's pretty awesome.

I'm amazed at how active they are and how much they change color. They're really fun to watch!

I use springtails to, I had a big boom of them the other day. I'll out the asparagus fern if my local nursery doesn't have any new rabbits foot ferns.

Back
Top Bottom