20 Extra Roaches

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I ordered 10 more adult male dubia because my females decided to be the queens they are and decided to become cannibals. Somehow I got 30 Male dubia and I have no idea what to do now. I set up another enclosure but do y’all think I can feed them off to coda?

I am guessing they are large adults right? You will get different answers here but I would avoid feeding really large feeders like that. Not always easy for them to get them down but you have a female. So you have to be really cautious about your feeding amounts.

I can not find it but @nightanole may be able to post it here. The conversion of a small vs so many crickets. Honestly Dubia pack a huge punch when it comes to the nutritional load they carry.

IMO you're perfectly fine feeding them off, no sense letting them go to waste. Just feed one at a time and wait a few days between. Guarantee you will not find someone that had a chameleon harmed from this lol. A easy way to tell if it's too large, chams will hesitate a bit and take longer to strike even if they're hungry. If they go right for it you're good to go.

just check the width between the eyes too, if the roach isn't as wide*(not length) as the space between eyes, you're fine.

adult banded cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 1 dozen crickets, thats 1 female dubia by nutrition content.

I am more concerned about the nutritional value of an adult feeding it to a female that your trying to control clutch sizes. SO with how @nightanole breaks it down. 1 adult male dubia would be equal to 6 crickets. There is a big difference with feeding roaches over other feeders like crickets that we have to consider with females. So yeah you could feed them off... But if she is on 3 days a week of 3-4 medium feeders then she may not be happy when your cutting her amounts to compensate for the additional nutrition intake of that 1 male adult dubia. Just my opinion of course.

I am more concerned about the nutritional value of an adult feeding it to a female that your trying to control clutch sizes. SO with how @nightanole breaks it down. 1 adult male dubia would be equal to 6 crickets. There is a big difference with feeding roaches over other feeders like crickets that we have to consider with females. So yeah you could feed them off... But if she is on 3 days a week of 3-4 medium feeders then she may not be happy when your cutting her amounts to compensate for the additional nutrition intake of that 1 male adult dubia. Just my opinion of course.

Didn't mean to come off rude. I get what you're saying now, I kind of skimmed through and honestly thought OP was someone else heh. I agree with being careful not to overfeed for a female and understand the concern. I just didn't want OP to toss them, I think they'd do well rotated in. Maybe 1 adult male per week mixed in with some smaller feeders every 3-4 days?

Something to consider just going by grams, the shell of an adult is harder/more dense than a nymph or than a cricket. They also have wings. This would up their weight, while not offering anything extra in calories. If I had to guess, the actual calorie content is probably around 4 crickets = to adult male dubia. Heck maybe even less. No way saying for fact, just by looking at the shells/wings. Although I do think crickets have a little more moisture, so the meat roaches do have may be a little more dense in calories 🤷🏻‍♂️

Didn't mean to come off rude. I get what you're saying now, I kind of skimmed through and honestly thought OP was someone else heh. I agree with being careful not to overfeed for a female and understand the concern. I just didn't want OP to toss them, I think they'd do well rotated in. Maybe 1 adult male per week mixed in with some smaller feeders every 3-4 days?

Something to consider just going by grams, the shell of an adult is harder/more dense than a nymph or than a cricket. They also have wings. This would up their weight, while not offering anything extra in calories. If I had to guess, the actual calorie content is probably around 4 crickets = to adult male dubia. Heck maybe even less. No way saying for fact, just by looking at the shells/wings. Although I do think crickets have a little more moisture, so the meat roaches do have may be a little more dense in calories 🤷🏻‍♂️
We are good. I knew where you were going with this. I do not personally feed adults just because Beman is on a more restricted diet so one feeder instead of 3 smaller ones irritates him and he become hangry. I was just more focused on the fact that she has a female Veiled and being cautious about what she actually feeds to stick to the reduced diet for the smaller clutch. :)

We are good. I knew where you were going with this. I do not personally feed adults just because Beman is on a more restricted diet so one feeder instead of 3 smaller ones irritates him and he become hangry. I was just more focused on the fact that she has a female Veiled and being cautious about what she actually feeds to stick to the reduced diet for the smaller clutch. :)
Makes sense, females can be pretty tiny too. My panther female was like 60g if I remember right lol

Back
Top Bottom