2 things:

LukeTheLizard

Avid Member
First, a couple days ago I was at Petco and I saw a lady holding her panther chameleon while shopping in he chameleon section. I wasn’t sure if that was okay to bring them places for a few reasons,(chameleon would be stressed, would have no UVB, heat bulb,etc.) so I wanted to ask if that was ok.

Second, I want to get a bigger cage, but I feel like getting the old cage was such a waste(it was, but I hadnt researched anything since I got this chameleon as a surprise) so is there anything I could do with the old cage? is there any other animal that would fit in the cage?(even as an adult)

Hi. Great questions! While it would be nice to take our chameleons out and show them off to the world, it is much too stressful and potentially unsafe for the chameleon. They are happiest when just left at home.
I have ended up with 2 of the chameleon kit enclosures. One I had to remove all of the screening from as it was too damaged. That one I attached hardware cloth to and it has become an outside enclosure to give my beardie some fresh air and sunshine for an hour or so. The other is a back up. It came in handy when I needed to completely redo one of my enclosures and needed somewhere safe for the chameleon. I have considered getting a crested gecko as they are just too beautiful. Their care needs are very similar to a chameleon, but they need less space and the smaller enclosure would probably be great for them.

Hi. Great questions! While it would be nice to take our chameleons out and show them off to the world, it is much too stressful and potentially unsafe for the chameleon. They are happiest when just left at home.
I have ended up with 2 of the chameleon kit enclosures. One I had to remove all of the screening from as it was too damaged. That one I attached hardware cloth to and it has become an outside enclosure to give my beardie some fresh air and sunshine for an hour or so. The other is a back up. It came in handy when I needed to completely redo one of my enclosures and needed somewhere safe for the chameleon. I have considered getting a crested gecko as they are just too beautiful. Their care needs are very similar to a chameleon, but they need less space and the smaller enclosure would probably be great for them.
Thanks! I wish I could show my chameleon off, as soon as I saw the lady holding her chameleon at Petco,I knew it was a bad idea. Can a crested gecko climb like a chameleon?

When I saw this thread title, I thought perhaps you had just discovered hemipenes. :rolleyes:

First, a couple days ago I was at Petco and I saw a lady holding her panther chameleon while shopping in he chameleon section. I wasn’t sure if that was okay to bring them places for a few reasons,(chameleon would be stressed, would have no UVB, heat bulb,etc.) so I wanted to ask if that was ok.
It might be OK... for an asshat.

Lack of UVB for a few hours isn't going to kill any reptile. Temperature depends on species, what the temps are outdoors, in the car, and in the store, and duration.

Regardless, you're right about the stress, as well as risk of loss or physical damage.

IMO, trips should be limited to see a veterinarian and back.

Second, I want to get a bigger cage, but I feel like getting the old cage was such a waste(it was, but I hadnt researched anything since I got this chameleon as a surprise) so is there anything I could do with the old cage? is there any other animal that would fit in the cage?(even as an adult)
What size is the cage? There are a lot of really neat arboreal geckos and other lizards.

Another possibility (one that has fascinated me personally) is the Western Fence Lizard. It's arboreal, and has a unique characteristic:
Studies have shown Lyme disease is lower in areas where the lizards occur. When ticks carrying Lyme disease feed on these lizards' blood (which they commonly do, especially around their ears), a protein in the lizard's blood kills the bacterium in the tick that causes Lyme disease. The infection inside the ticks' gut is therefore cleared and the tick no longer carries Lyme disease.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_fence_lizard#Lyme_disease

Ya I was mostly worried about the stress, not the uvb or heat.

The cage size is 16x16x30, which is too small for my Cham, and so that’s why I wanted to get a bigger cage so she could have more room, and so I could fit more live plants since the pots take up so much space.

Wow those are cool! Now I’m debating if I want to get a crested gecko or a western fence lizard!

Ya I was mostly worried about the stress, not the uvb or heat.

The cage size is 16x16x30, which is too small for my Cham, and so that’s why I wanted to get a bigger cage so she could have more room, and so I could fit more live plants since the pots take up so much space.

Wow those are cool! Now I’m debating if I want to get a crested gecko or a western fence lizard!
Lots of other geckos in the world too. I'm partial to the New Caledonian species, including:
  • Correlophus ciliatus - Crested Gecko
  • Correlophus sarasinorum - Sarasin's Giant Gecko
  • Mniarogekko chahoua - Mossy Prehensile-tailed Gecko
  • Eurydactylodes agricolae & vieillardi - Chameleon Gecko
  • Bavayia sp. - Bavayia Gecko
  • Rhacodactylus auriculatus - Gargoyle Gecko
  • Rhacodactylus leachinaus - New Caledonia Giant Gecko [a.k.a. "leachie"]
  • Rhacodactylus trachycephalus & trachyrhynchus - Rough-Snouted Gecko
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=296f3a38c592473d8586da6a1159922f

I'm not sure if that list is complete or not, or just those available in the pet trade. 🤷‍♂️

I've a hankering for a leachie, but the least expensive I've seen was $900, and they can go much higher.

To me the biggest reason not to take your chameleon to a reptile store with you is that none of the animals there would have been quarantined and your chameleon could pick something up there...especially if you are handling things in the store.

Other answers here are good too of course...stress, temperature, etc.

To me the biggest reason not to take your chameleon to a reptile store with you is that none of the animals there would have been quarantined and your chameleon could pick something up there...especially if you are handling things in the store.
Stuff a chameleon could catch? Wouldn't that have to be contact with other chameleon feces or something that crossed the species barrier? How likely is that? :unsure:

Chameleon COVID!!! :LOL:

Stuff a chameleon could catch? Wouldn't that have to be contact with other chameleon feces or something that crossed the species barrier? How likely is that? :unsure:

Chameleon COVID!!! :LOL:

Some things are airborne and some bacteria are not species specific. What's to say someone didn't go into the store, handle one of the store's chameleons then handle a container of supplements and then you handle the container then remove your chameleon from your shoulder without sanitizing your hands. The OP did mention the lady was in the chameleon section. Some bacteria are not species specific so even a snake could transmit it.

The same type of thing can happen at a reptile show.

Some things are airborne and some bacteria are not species specific. What's to say someone didn't go into the store, handle one of the store's chameleons then handle a container of supplements and then you handle the container then remove your chameleon from your shoulder without sanitizing your hands. The OP did mention the lady was in the chameleon section. Some bacteria are not species specific so even a snake could transmit it.

The same type of thing can happen at a reptile show.
That's a lot of (albeit unspoken) "what if"s.
I'll ask a couple of vets I know and try to get back here.

With all due respect, I still think risk of loss, stress, and/or injury would be higher.

Back
Top Bottom