2 questions: space and substrate

Wobblez91

Question #1: my next enclosure will be custom built. I'm thinking about going as big as 3'x3'x6'. Is there such thing as too much space for a chameleon or other downsides to going that big?

Question #2: as anyone planted grass in their bioactive enclosure? Is this a good or bad idea?

I dont know anything about this but I know there is a Chameleon Academy podcast where a guest on there talks about his bioactive enclosures and he uses grass.

I’m all for giving chameleons as much space as possible. The only thing I’d wonder about is having the enclosure so deep that you can’t easily reach inside to the back.
What kind of grass are you thinking about? Those like for a lawn would probably require more light than you can provide. Decorative grasses would do better.

I’m all for giving chameleons as much space as possible. The only thing I’d wonder about is having the enclosure so deep that you can’t easily reach inside to the back.
What kind of grass are you thinking about? Those like for a lawn would probably require more light than you can provide. Decorative grasses would do better.
I'm actually not sure what the final internal dimensions will be as I intend to do a Great Stuff + coating (I can't think off the top of my head what they recommend you coat it with) textured background. So I'm sure reaching the back won't be too much of an issue as the depth dimension will be closer to 2'6"-2'9".
Thanks for the grass recommendation. I was thinking lawn grass. Just something to fill in the "empty" space and discourage soil eating.

Like @MissSkittles said leaf litter would be best and maybe some live moss. Also try to plant your plants in the soil, they will love it. Especially, something like a pothos, it will grow all way the up.
Depth is absolutely one thing to consider. My custom enclosure is 4’9 x 2’3 x 4’9 and that depth was max for me, otherwise you can’t reach the backside anymore.

02D22960-CC44-4916-AD04-DE77A657476E.jpeg

Like @MissSkittles said leaf litter would be best and maybe some live moss. Also try to plant your plants in the soil, they will love it. Especially, something like a pothos, it will grow all way the up.
Depth is absolutely one thing to consider. My custom enclosure is 4’9 x 2’3 x 4’9 and that depth was max for me, otherwise you can’t reach the backside anymore.

View attachment 337583
I do love your jungle/forest! Lucky Neo. 💗

Back
Top Bottom