2 month old Panther not eating!!! Please help

OTF300

image.jpg
image.jpg
5A6C7D56-BDFF-4C8B-8336-2B42627EB28A.jpeg
2A37C4D0-9821-4B6D-85D2-EB79362596A3.jpeg
C6C44B88-134E-437F-BE87-6DD9C58C8B85.jpeg
Hello! I just bought a 2 Month old Male blue bar panther Chameleon from Scales ‘n Tails and have had him for exactly a week today. Since I’ve had him in my care he hasn’t been eating at all but he does drink water off the plants in his enclosure everyday. His humidity is always in the 60-70% and his temps are 80 and he has a basking spot aswell with a higher temp. He’s not to active I do see him move time to time but not actively. I’m concerned about him cause he’s always a really dark brown almost black color and he always hides in a spot that doesn’t get light or anything and just sleeps during the day. He just got done shedding today but still doesn’t have an appetite for anything! I’ve tried pinheads, small crickets, very small horn worms and even fly-less fruit flies and he isn’t interested in any of them. I’m not sure what could be wrong with him but its very concerning. I’ll attach pictures of his cage and everything as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I also have that fan on high all day so he gets more air since its a terrarium and doesnt get a respiratory infection. Please help I don’t know what’s wrong with him!:(

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) It’s never a good sign when they are closing their eyes during the day. What kind of supplements has he been getting?
Looking at your pics, while you have created an attractive vivarium, , it isn’t entirely chameleon appropriate. Your little one needs many more horizontal branches/vines...especially a bit higher in the viv. Where are you placing a feeding cup? It needs to be at a level that he is easily able to see and access it. Some chameleons are secretive about eating or drinking. He may not be feeling safe enough to eat if you are around.
Where is the fan blowing? I would turn the fan around so that it is sucking air rather than blowing...that may make a difference.
How often are you handling him? I would suggest no handling until he gets fully settled in and starts feeling secure enough and starts eating.
Perhaps one of our members who is experienced with babies can offer better feedback. @jannb @kinyonga @JacksJill

Welcome to the forum!

@MissSkittles has given you some good advice already. Please answer her questions.

I would lower the basking temperature to 80F and the cage temperature should be a few degrees lower too.

How are you providing water for him?

You need a long linear Reptisun 5.0 UVB tube light or an Arcadia long linear tube light. The light you're using may be part of the problem.

Hello! Thank you for the replies!! I got some new plants and took the dirt and moss out and put some new plants in! I’ll attach some pictures below. I also turned the fan around so it’s sucking air out rather than blowing it in. I put some new plants in that have a lot of foliage and places to hid and climb and he already is being more active and he’s a light brown color now and looks a lot better within 20 minutes!!!! I have a dripper at the top for a source of water and I also have a king automatic mister that’s set for every 2 hours for 1 minute. I did have the feeding cup a little low so that could be why but I’m gonna find a higher place to put it. I have a big uvb bulb that I’ll attach in a picture that might be a 5.0 but I’m not sure! I barely have any room to put it up top so I’d have to move some things around. Thank you both so much for the replies I really appreciate it!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 82
Proper husbandry is essential for keeping your chameleon healthy, especially when you have such a young one. I advise reading this and making sure to thoroughly explore all chameleon academy has to offer. It’s perhaps the best resource on keeping chameleons there is. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
Your guy will be needing a much larger enclosure in just a few short months. I have one of these and really like it. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage. Much better than the ReptiBreeze for the same price. This is the uvb light that you need. 24” & 6% https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html. Better than the ReptiSun as Arcadia bulbs are good for a year, rather than just 6 months.
What supplements are you using? While there are many different regimens, one of the easier ones is phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one per month. Then for that one every other week feeding you use Reptivite with D3.

How long have you had your cham? If you just got your cham it might talk a little time to get used to the cage and sometimes they won’t eat if there new to there cage. Are you trying to hand feed? If you are your cham needs to trust you first before that. i would just put a cup in the cage not on the ground of the cage tho just so if your cham want to eat there’s food

Those light could definitely cause your baby to close his eyes. You need the long style, tube light. Also if he’s dehydrated that can make him not want to eat.

Hello! I read all your comments and I went to the pet store today and got a 18’ tube uvb and its a 10.0 and I also got him a red basking lamp that’s a little more powerful only 75 watts and there’s a pretty good gap between his basking spot and the heat lamp. I also put holes in the feeding cup I have and used fishing line to hang it on the ceiling so its more Visible and after I did that he already came out and is moving around a little bit and eyeing the crickets and fruit flies that are in the feeding cup. His cage looks a lot brighter and he’s seeming to like it already so hopefully he’ll start to eat! Thank you all so much for the replies you all were very helpful!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Please take the 10.0 back and exchange it for a 5.0. I would not use a 10 on a baby. I would also hang the lights up off the top of the cage. A 10.0 is to strong for his eyes. Do you have a temp gun to check his temps? He should be in the very low 80’s. 81 or 82. I only use a 40 to 60 watt on my adults and a 25 to 40 on young chameleons depending on the wattage needed to get them to the correct temp. Also red bulbs are not recommend for chameleons. I have never used a red light. Here’s is my blog for new keepers with what all you will need and links to where you can buy each item. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

Hello all!! I read all your comments and I got him a 5.0 ubv and a blue kinda clear color heat lamp. I also found a 18 x 18 x 32 glass cage that has front ventilation and a screen top. I put a sticker of a jungle on the back of the cage so it has a little more privacy and I put more places for him to climb and also got a suction cup that goes on the wall for crickets. I have paper towels on the bottom of the cage and I have the TI plant and the Bromeliad in the cage still and he’s already loving it! I’m doing something better because the first day I put him in this cage he ate 6 crickets and found his cricket container on the wall and ate 3 more out of there! Today he ate a pretty good sized horn worm and he’s been a lot more active exploring around his cage since he has a lot more room and a lot more branches to climb on. His humidity in the new cage has been 70-90% and his basking spot is 87 and the whole cage is 76. I’ll attach pictures of the new cage and you guys can tell me how this one is! Also when I used the 10.0 uvb for one day, he started getting an eye problem in his right eye and would keep cleaning it and I saw him rub it with his foot once so I’ve been slightly misting him so he can get some water in his eye and clean it out and it seemed to help it doesn’t seem to be bothering him that much anymore but now I know to not use a 10.0 uvb on a baby Cham! Thank you all again I appreciate everyone’s comments! Hope you guys have a good new year!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
AEAA05FE-1089-465A-B072-B40E691C8ECC.jpeg

While that new cage is better, he’ll need a minimum of 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall cage, but bigger is always better!

Could you also take a pic of the top of the new enclosure to see how the lights are laid out, please? Filling it the ask for help form would be great, as well. It’ll help make sure your little one is getting the best care possible! My computer is glitching and won’t let me copy or link the form, but there is a link for it on my signature.

Hi and welcome you will want to lower your day time humidity 50 -70 max nights can be higher.

Back
Top Bottom